We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft phonecall...is it a scam?

stormrider123

Likes # 0

Hi ive been given a call from someone who claims to work for microsft support desk and he says that my pc is giving me a bunch of errors and he said that microsoft was issuing out a repair and you will need to pay for it at first i found it genuine then he told me to enter a 6 digit code and he began asking me to enter bank details in a microsft website. Then i realised the website looked very dodgy i hang up and turned off my pc via socket and disconnected internet.

Funny enough someone called again the next day saying the same thing only that time my pc was running linux i told him that. there was silence...then he hang up

is this a scam? and more importantly will it do anything to my pc. It seems fine but just incase i was going to reformat?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

YES - a very frequent scam. Give your Bank a call just to be on the safe side - if you gave any details at all that is.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

The 6 digit code is so that the scammer would be able to access your PC and anything on it - very similar to a genuine program called Teamviewer which is for helping distant friends via remote desktop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes it is a scam. Read all about it Google search

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

It is a scam, this is what I said on another post about the same scam:

I had a similar one a few months ago. I received a call saying they are from a security company and my pc is sending out a virus. I said it is clean and fully checked. I built it myself and know what I am doing. He then said did you know your warranty has run out, I said I am using Win 7 Ultimate 64 with an SSD. He then said ah you have an old system, I said no I am using a Vertex 2 SSD so it cannot be old it has only just come out. He did not know what an SSD drive was.He asked to to look in the error logs and said look you have loads of problems, I said they look normal to me all pc's have error logs! He then tried to sell me warranty as WIn 7 only has a few weeks warranty and it does not tell you that as it is hidden! I continued to baffle him with pc terms. Eventually he passed me on to someone else to sell me a warranty; I played along with him, saying that sounds good 5 years warranty for £200. When it came to paying I said my credit card has expired and am waiting for a new one. He put me onto someone else, this last person said you can ring a number and pay that way. It was a number in London.

I did not ring; I had kept them on the phone for over 45 minutes :-) as I had some spare time. I thought keep them talking and so they cannot con someone that would panic if they got a call saying their pc had a virus.

So if you get a call and have a spare hour wind them up and save someone else!!! Give it a go and wind them up LOL

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Give it a go and wind them up LOL"

I hope you don't follow that advice, it achieves nothing, and wastes your time.

If you receive one of these calls just replace the receiver, there's absolutely no point in engaging in a conversation with these people.

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

TO FE,

My point is if you have the time it saves other people that are not tech savy getting sucked into the scam while you are wasting their time. These people prey on other people trying to baffle them with tech talk and peoples fear of a virus!!!!

If you dont have the time just hang up as FE says, but if you do have time.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad