We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quicken 98 and Windows 7

be1144

Likes # 0

My Quicken 98 will not run on Win 7 64 bit. What is the best piece of free software that will do a similar job?

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

be1144

I think you are right, Version 98 probably will not work with Win 7 because of compatibility problems. I have the 2004 version which, with a bit of jiggery pokery, works fine in Win 7.

If you Google "Free Home Finance Software", you will find a number of examples to be getting on with!

TonyV

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Yes TonyV is quite right, I have 2004 Quicken XG running very well and nicely in Windows 7 64 Bit. I even get it to back up whenever I want it to, and all my files were carried over with no problems. In fact the only two problems I have are with the back up - it will save only one copy ( overwriting the existing back up ) and whilst listed in the box as to where to save the back up I have a Seagate external USB hard drive when doing the actual back up the programme doesn't find it!! Odd, or what??

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

why dont you download the Microsoft application compatibility toolkit and see if there is a Shim ? Have you tried the different compatibility options ? Windows 7 has XP mode where through Virtual PC it creates a Virtual XP machine

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I have Q2002 running on W7. Help does not work. I had to load all the files in Quicken ProgFiles in XP to mem stick, then copy them into W7. There is a LOT OF INFO info on running it on W7, if you do search over the last 12 months, ALTHOUGH I dont remember seeing any for Quicken 98? David

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

A good alternative moneybox

Like this post
joe95

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem with Quicken 2000 several months ago when changed to 7 went back to my local PC shop who installed Win7 with my Quicken disc ten minutes later it was up and running and has worked perfectly ever since so perhaps there is a work around as other people have said,

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I have quicken 200 running OK, on WIn 7 64 bit... but I had to coppy a .ddl file from elsewhere to get it working. I have the reference at home so I can look it up when I get back there...

However, lest this doesn't work for you, while researching for something similar, before I found the fix, the best I came across, (in terms of it being most similar to Quicken in operation) was "Ace Money" (The "lite" version can only handle 2 accounts, but is free).

The only thing I didn't like about it, comparing it to Quicken, was the way it reconciles...

With Quicken, when you reconcile you enter in you latest statement balance, the "tick off" all the transactions that have appeared on that statement. When you've finished the Quicken reconcile window should show an "outstanding" figure of £0.00. If it doesn't something is wrong. It's eaasy to see if it's not £0.00, so easy to detect that there is an error somewhere, either in your original entries, or with the statement...

With AceMoney the arithmetic is the same, (obviously!), but you don't start by enterign your latest statement balance... instead you just "tick off" the items on your statement, and when you have finished the outstanding balance showing in AceMoney should be the same as that on the statement.

Now there is nothing wrong with that, in principle, BUT, if you have made a simple error, such as a typo, in a transaction, you may not notice it, and may not spot it when reconciling....

For example, suppose your statement shows a closing balance of £368.75, and you reconcile and Acemoney shows a closing balance of £386.75, it would be easy, (for me at least!), to miss it, assume all is well, and carry on... when in fact there is a discrepancy of £18 !! In Quicken because you are aiming for a "target" of £0.00 if you don't reach it, you are less likely to miss the error.

However, I fully accept that the same issue arises if you type in an incorrect amount as the closing balance, at the start of the reconcile process in Quicken!

Hope this makes sense!

When I get home I'll look up the advice I used and post it here!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Forgot the link...

AceMoney

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Hi again...

I'm afraid I can't find the advice I referred to in my earlier post!

However, by examining the contents of my "Quicken" folder, (I chose not to install in the default folder, but created a folder called "Quicken" in the "Program Files (x86)" folder), and looking at the "Date modified" properties, I think it is 2 files that I copied over from another XP installation, namely;

mfc70.dll

and

MSVCP70.DLL

Good luck,

(I repeat that it's Quicken 2000 I have!)

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

In fact...

I've just found where I got the advice from, and in fact it was 3 files. Note this advice refers to Quicken XG, and mine is 2000.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100719070641AAH9v5z

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...