We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need help for a new processor heat sink

pctweaker
Resolved

Likes # 0

hey i'm new to this forum but so im not completely sure if this is the right one to ask on but anyway im big on upgrading my pc tweaking and overclocking (not an expert just enjoy working with that kind of area) and been wanting to buy a new cooler for my processor. I have had a look but really before i get anything would like too see if anyone has any ideas on what one too get fan or water but prefer to stay with fan.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd use a search engine first to see how much you can safely overclock your CPU and the best method of cooling. Gather info and then I'd register with overclockers UK forum.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

Like this post
pctweaker

Likes # 0

a lot of people have safely overclocked it to 4.2 on air cooling and tested on prime 95 for 24 hours no problems but im not wanting to push it too that extent ill just be happy with 4.0ghz and something to keep the temps down that extra bit

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

D@ve, forum changes again I'm afraid. Just copy and paste then the link will be active in your post. Don't use the hyperlink icon.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I read the post that said links would be automatically converted, but I assumed that was in addition to the current system.

I hope it's just a temporary bug, otherwise it is a big step backwards!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Like this post  
pctweaker

Likes # 0

this may sound like a stupid question but do you have to apply a thermal compound to the base of the cooler?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

It depends on the cooler,some come with a thermal pad, so no you do not.With the ones that come with nothing then yes you do.

Some reading on the purpose of thermal paste:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease#Purpose

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks