We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adware:Win32/Hotbar found on Latest PCA coverdisk

Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

When I click on the AUDACITY folder on Files 194 0n the lartest cover disk Microsoft Security Essentials flaghs up :- Adware:Win32/Hotbar a Search reveals that this displays a dynamic toolbar and targeted pop-up ads based on its monitoring of web-browsing activity. Adware:Win32/Hotbar installs a browser toolbar that works in Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8 and Firefox 3.6 and 4.0. The tool is a multi-component adware program designed to monitor user’s online browsing behavior to deliver targeted advertising. It also installs other adware components related to Win32/ClickPotato and Win32/ShopperReports. Hotbar also installs graphical skins for Internet Explorer, Outlook, and Outlook Express. It may collect user-related information and may silently download and run updates or other code from its servers.

can you check :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you contacted the FE yet.

He would give this top priority in getting it fixed.

And if true how do you get in contact with everyone that has bought the magazine.

Like this post
Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

buteman tried but got:- This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected]

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

He has probably read your thread.But I will try and post him with you information.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

FE has been informed by mail so no doubt will look into it when available.

Lets hope it is only your cover disc that is infected.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi Seth what program are you running that picked this problem out.

Was it your Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware or firewall,If so which one.

Someone else on the helproom mentioning the download of System mechanic but no mention of any Spyware with it.

Oops MSE it was, just wondering if it could have been a false positive.

Not got the disc so cannot try it but no doubt someone will have a try to see if they find any problems.

Like this post
AylesburyGal

Likes # 0

Not sure where this leaves me????? I think it's all saying that I can't install this?????

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AylesburyGal

Maybe safer not installing it.

Does it give you the actual keycode for it.

If so maybe download it the company's own website and adding the keycode.

Maybe contact one of the staff from here.link text

Maybe they could send you another disc or whatever or give you advice on how to install it.Not sure which one you would have to contact though.

Like this post
AylesburyGal

Likes # 0

Thanks anyway

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015