We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop trouble

ernieernie

Likes # 0

Every couple of days my desktop suddenly fills with icons which all relate to items in My Documents folder. They don't do any harm but I can't find the icons that should be there, they are getting pushed about. The only way I can get out of it is to do a system restore, which is a nuisance and a time waster anyway. If I boot up in safe mode the icons are smaller but there are even more of them! Help! Ernieernie

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try the new version of Malwarebytes.

link text

Or click on the center of the screen and Make sure Icons are Aligned to grid and show desktop icons are both ticked.

Like this post
ernieernie

Likes # 0

Thanks for trying, buteman. I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan which claimed to have discovered 23 infected files (all Adware) and then I deleted them. Upon reboot the unwanted icons all re-appeared so I am afraid that malwarebytes was not the answer. The items to tick were already ticked.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe give C Cleaner a run.

They must be working on PCA problems today as the links have gone.And a waste of time trying with Firefox as that is worse.

Maybe once the have sorted out their problems you have got a better chance of getting further advice from others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes