We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change router to BT Homehub 3?

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am making the switch from my existing ISP to BT sometime over the next few weeks (waiting for a MAC right now). I will be doing the installation myself. I have a perfectly good router less than a year old but I will be supplied with the latest BT Homehub 3.

My question is do I need to use it? Has it any advantages that members know of?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thanks Pineman100 I had already read that along with a number of other reviews of the Homehub 3 and seen that the only advantage it has over my present Sitecom router is that one of the ethernet ports is a gigabit one that I could take advantage of for my desktop. What I am wondering is if I really need to install the BT Homehub and instead continue to use my present router but with the new BT settings.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

What wireless protocol does your computer's wireless adaptor use? The BT Home Hub uses 802.11n which can give you a faster, longer-range wireless network. But only if your adaptor uses the same protocol - if it uses the older 802.11g then there's no real benefit.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

One laptop and one notebook are g so no benefit there unless I use one of my n adapters that I carry around, another laptop with built in n. But my Sitecom Router is already n so the wireless side of things makes no difference to me. But as I said in my earlier post the LAN on my motherboard is 1Gbit and as I understand it the new Homehub 3 has one of its LAN inputes that is also 1Gbit so perhaps a plus there.

My only real concern is how easy it is to transfer the BT settings into the Sitecom router instead of using those provided by the disc for the Homehub.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I'm not sure whether this is what you need, but have a read of this web page

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Sorry - meant to add: scroll down the page to the blue panel - read the section called "BT broadband settings"

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thank you Pineman100, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Thread closed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK