We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Teamviewer Scam Fix?

Legslip

Likes # 0

A friend has fallen foul of the scam and downloaded Teamviewer and allowed access to his PC and, god forbid, given his Cred Card details.

I have told him to stop his card immediatly and leave his PC switched off. What actions are necessary to ensure the security of his PC?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What scam and how was your friend contacted? If the PC is off line then uninstall using programs and features (add/remove). Scan with the security programs available before re-connecting to your ISP. So long as it's the CC details involved and that is canceled then I can see no problem.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks RDave. It's the usual one and well known. You get a phone call advising you have viruses or other problems and told to download Teamviewer. They then have access to your PC and tell you they will resolve for a fee and ask foe Cred Card details. Sorry, but they are bastards and want hangin...

Anyway, not sure your advice will ensure solution as I think they get into the root of the PC. See what the thread brings.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Who actually contacted your friend. You suggest that the scam is being perpetrated by Teamviewer, which is a reputable company with useful free software.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

No it's not Teamviewer contacting people. It's scammers using Teamviewer as the access medium to PC's.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Legslip

As above, who contacted your friend via the telephone? What name did they give? Now teamweaver is uninstalled and the CC is cancelled I still see no problem if the PC is secured. Obvious things to do is change passwords on your email client and any other log-in passwords auto saved by your browsers. Something I never do unless it is a trivial site that can't harm you financially.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Hello again Dave. These scams are well known. Users get a call from someone reputedly from Microsoft, but they are NOT. I'm going to uninstall Teamviewer, use System Restore to go back a few days, run Superantispyware and Malewarebytes then do an antivirus scan. Just need to be confident that this is enough.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

And most important (as above) cancel the credit card

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Legslip

Don't know about the system restore, whether it's needed or not, but agree with running an Av scan. I'd run malwarebytes in normal mode but run SAS in safe mode. If nothing found, and teamweaver is a pretty solid software, you should be ok.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Dave. Think we agree that if I carry out the actions, we should be OK but i will be interested to see if any other contributors to the issue.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Legslip Of course. So would I in your case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......