We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iTunes and music file types

belayer

Likes # 0

I recently downloaded iTunes to my desktop and ever since then I have been unable to play (on my Denon CD Player)any music CD I have recorded. I burn music CDs using Windows Media Player.

My CD Player plays all the CDs I recorded before I downloaded iTunes, but nothing since, although they will play in the car OK.

I suspect that a setting has changed and I am now inadvertently burning CDs in a different format/filetype than before.

How can I find out? I can't find a way of ascertaining what filetype I am creating.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In i Tunes you can set it to rip CD's in MP3 format: Edit / Preferences / Import Settings . I use MP3 Encoder 160 Kbps. If you buy iTunes from their store they normally are in M4P (DRM iTunes) unless you pay extra for MP3. You can easily burn a CD in audio format in iTunes. Create a playlist - say CD1 - then drag and drop about 20 songs to it and burn a CD in audio fornat. Do not forget to "Finalise" the CD so it will play on other CD Players. I use iTunes to burn rather than WMP.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

OK, thanks.

Does that mean I now have to erase all the music I have put onto iTunes and re-rip them in the new setting (MP3) before I burn them to CD?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

No. When you burn ensure you select Audio CD and it will covert. How did you rip the CD's originally? To see what fornat they are in, in iTunes Music, select a tune Right click on it and select "show in windows explorer" and the file extension shoul be seen at the bottom (I have W7 - what OS are you using?) Alternatively in Windows Explorer/ Ny Music / iTunes/iTunes Music the files are there and you can see the file extensions.(What are they? Dont worry they can easily be changed - come back! I am not always here though.

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Thanks John, it tells me they are M4P files. I think I need them on CD as MP3 files.

I am using Windows 7

Is there some way to change them?

Dave

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Actually the music files are a mixture of all sorts, MPEG, AAC, WMA, M4P

Dave

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you are going to stick with iTunes, it may be best to rip in future in MP3 as in my Thu 18:16 post. If the old ones play, fine. M4P ar iTunes from their store. For now if you want to burn a CD just create a playlist in the iTunes music folder, drag and drop the (about20 ) tunes you want into it (You will not be creating extra copies, just telling iTunes wgat songs you wnt. Then "Burn disc in audio format", finalise the disc, and it should play in other CD Players. Incidentally if you want, you can re - import the tunes in MP3 format thereby changing the M4P ones to MP3 . Unless youir CD player(s) can play MP3 files I have found it more universally easy to burn in audio format. Just select the format you want when the "burn disc" button appears at the bottom of iTunes when you have your playlist to burn ready.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry for a few spelling errors! Apart from the M4P and AAC files, the others could, if you wish, be converted in iTunes music to MP3 . Just right click the tune(s) you want then select "Create MP3 Version". The only way I know to change AAC or M4P is to burn to audio CD and re - import, but why bother?

Like this post
belayer

Likes # 0

Thanks for your time. I will try that and see what happens, fortunately CDs are cheap so not a disaster if I have to throw a few away.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks