We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Failure to Display Security and Shutdown Options"

cowgirl66

Likes # 0

Hi, the title above is the name of the error message I get when my computer freezes. And the content of the error message reads;

"The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL + ALT + DELETE wass pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch".

I have Windows 7 and have recently reinstalled it so could I have done something wrong back then?

Regards cowgirl66

Like this post
cowgirl66

Likes # 0

To be more explicit, when the message comes up I cannont use my Task Manager, and cannot press End Process since this option isn't displayed. I haven't yet pinned down why or when the computer freezes. Please ask any questions to help solve this matter.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have a read here click here

Like this post
cowgirl66

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have tried the Clean Boot method you so kindly gave instructions for but this took a lot of nerve to do as I'm not too up on this kind of procedure. I'm afraid nothing came of it other than when I clicked on "Hide all Microsoft Services", and noticed that one of the programmes listed, "iPod Service", was not running but "Stopped". Could this mean anything?

I have had to re-type this post on my friends computer because when I came here to give my answer above, the computer froze yet again! Same message, same error, same shutdown using the power switch again. Would a reinstall of Windows 7 stop this? I'm getting desperate now ....:-((

Like this post
cowgirl66

Likes # 0

Plus I've just thought,, sometime back I had to reinstall Windows 7 and have a feeling I put the Upgrade disc in the DVD drive while Windows was still running, and crrried out the Custom install from there...

I'm just clutching at straws but I am trying to think what I might have done wrong.

Regards cowgirl66

Like this post
cowgirl66

Likes # 0

I have had to reinstall custom version of Windows 7 (again) and still my screen freezes with the same error message. Thanks everyone for your help,

Regards cowgirl66

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014