We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture becau

GBL
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am using Win 7. I have recently transferred my Photo's onto DVD from and external drive.As far as I know they are all JPG files. Now I find that I keep getting this message when I try to view the photo's,

Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer

I have done an sfc/scannow, but that has failed to solve the problem as no faults were found.

Is there a solution or do I have to revert back to my old PC running on XP pro.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Change which programs Windows uses by default

A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.

In Default Programs, you can:

Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery,Photo Gallery,or Photo Viewer to open all photos, use this option.

Try this

Right click on any of the images, open properties, click Change.

2. In ‘Open with’ window, open Other Programs and select Windows Photo Viewer as default program to open with.

3. Click Ok, all your images will open in Windows default photo viewer.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Should have read - "Alternatively" before "Try this"

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

I did that but don't have many programs to choose from, any suggestions??

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You could download and install Picasa which an excellent alternative to view your pictures. I have it installed for several years now - it allows you to upload albums to the Web - email - print - and other features. I can certainly recommend it.
Download here click here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Don't forget to watch the video in that LINK for Picasa.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Thanks will look at it in the morning.

Take care.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This will open virtually all graphics files and switch them between formats as you will.
It does not edit as such though it does ave a useful pre sized print option

click here

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

That is brilliant thanks SparkyJack
Take care.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015