We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TFT monitor display query

CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

My TFT monitor has been like this ever since I bought it a couple of years ago.

The problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I'm just curious as to what causes it !

What happens is that when it's cold (i.e. after first switching it on). I get a vertical mix of black and green lines -

click here

click here

After aprox 10 minutes these lines just fade into oblivion.

A curious thing is that when I use the Windows magnifier, the mouse pointer is obscured by the lines but isn't visible in the magnified part of the screen !

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

woodchip, apparently my monitor comes with a 3 year warranty but my monitor is more than 3 years old and I foolishly didn't register with Dell when I bought the monitor so it would be invalid anyway.

It's something I will have to live with as it isn't too noticeable especially when gaming.

Below is a video of what the vertical line looks like and is exactly the same colour, width and position on the monitor screen !

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13935125

When I first switch the monitor on there are a dozen or so black lines which are very noticeable but these disappear after 10-15 mins but the faint blue line stays as shown in the video in my link.

This problem has put me off buying Dell monitors as the monitor wasn't cheap at around £500

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Curly Check with Dell, when I had a monitor replaced by Relysis, the courier brought the new monitor and took away the faulty one.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Apologies, I replied from the first page information, so not relevant now.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Colonel Graham, no need to apologise as your reply prompted me to ring Dell up!

You were right, I checked with Dell and apparently I am still within the 3 year warranty period !

According to them I purchased the Dell monitor on 16/1/2009 so I'm still within the 3 year warranty period which is good news.

I gave them the serial number from the back of the monitor but I didn't have the works order number as it was on the box which I foolishly threw away (I'll keep all relevant packaging in future)

I gave them my name and address along with the name of the company where I bought it from (Ebuyer) and they said that they will send me a refurbished one by courier tomorrow morning - that's quick service lol

I will have to send the old one back but the courier will even bring his own packaging and so I can just hand it over.

The only downside is that the refurbished monitor is only guaranteed for up to 12 months but it's still better than having to put up with this one besides my current monitor only only has around 6 months left on the 3 year warranty so I'm gaining here too !

Hopefully this will be sorted finally ;)

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Final reply to this thread from me.

I just wanted to say how good Dell's customer service is and I would definently buy from them again.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Final reply to this thread from me.

I just wanted to say how good Dell's customer service is and I would definently buy from them again.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Update:

The refurbished monitor arrived around an hour ago and it's working ok.

That's customer service for you as it was less than 24 hours since I rang them.

The refurbished monitor is revision 3 where as my old (faulty) monitor was revision 1 so obviously some improvements have been made !

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Told you to try them, Glad it been resolved after all this time

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

use the monitor on a laptop or other comp. the lines wont show if you press print screen as the image is virtual. so it could be graphics.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

woodchip, yes it's good to have a normal monitor screen!

ashleycardwell94, I tried the monitor with my spare PC but the line was still visible there and so it wasn't the graphics card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback