We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer keeps trying to access website

eskimosean

Likes # 0

A programme on my computer keeps trying to access a file on the filesharing site, weirden.com. Webroot spyware is stopping it (it tries once every 2 seconds), but I was wondering if there is a way of finding out what programme is sending the request to start with please!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

According to reports weirden.com was riddled with malware and spyware all of Dec 2010.
Have you done a full scan of all your anti spyware/malware/virus programs?

Did you have Webroot spyware installed before this started to happen or did you install it afterwards?

Full details of your O/S (XP,Vista, W7 ?)and your anti spyware/malware/virus/firewall programs and the actions you have taken so far, please.

Do you get any popup screens or any unusual behaviour at all?
Have you checked in Task Manager what processes are running?

Like this post
Big L 266

Likes # 0

Hello.

eskimosean....I've just noticed you've put this question in the 'Windows Vista' forum as well which is where I've just answered. Lotvic is spot on with his answer though.

All the best.

Big L 266

Like this post
eskimosean

Likes # 0

Hi Guys, thanks for the quick response!

I'm running vista 32Bit HP, with webroot spysweeper and norton 360. Both were in place before the problem appeared. So far, I've used ccleaner to try and source a the problem in the registry, hasn't seemed to have worked. Run scans with both norton and webroot, nothing found. Webroot does catch the access to the website, it just doesn't say where it is coming from!

I have had no popups and no other unusual behaviour.

I have just checked task manager and discovered that chrome was running an unusually large number of processes, and so I have uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it, which so far may have worked, it is very difficult to tell, as I can't even find a log within Webroot!

Like this post
Grendyl

Likes # 0

If you still have problems try running trojan remover, its free fully working for 30 days, run it in safe mode and do a full system scan. Should clear any infections you may have.

not sure if I can post links but the download for TR is here

click here

Good luck

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Trojan remover is a very good program and have used it myself so no harm in posting it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'