We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network icon in system tray, please

Number six

Likes # 0

Running windows7. What do I miss from XP? The little two-screen icon in the sys. tray which would illuminate when the internet connection is active. Can anyone recommend a small simple app. for W7 which can do this? I like to know at a glance when my PC is sending/receiving. I don't require lots of info or stats, just a simple on/off indicator to sit in the system tray.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Right click on Taskbar - Properties - Notification Area - Choose Customize - from the bottom of that box click on "Turn sysytem Icons on or off" (blue letters) Network Icon should be ON - click OK

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Win7 puts an icon in the systray. It shows as a rectangle that looks like a monitor if you have it hard wired or a set of triangular bars if you are on wireless. The strength of the wireless signal determines the number of bars.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel, double click connections right click your connection then Properties there should be a little box to tick to show icon

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

"I don't require lots of info or stats, just a simple on/off indicator to sit in the system tray"

Once you have your icon in the system tray you can click on it and it shows "Currently connected to **** etc." but you won't get two little flashing icons as in XP - if it not connecting properly you will get a yellow triangle - then you can right click and "Troubleshoot Problems"

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

northumbria61 - I already have the icon in the system tray, but as you say it does nothing unless a problem occurs with the connection. Anyone tried using bitmeter click here This looks like the smallest, simplest app which might do the job. Does not say if it runs on W7.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

"it does nothing unless a problem occurs with the connection" - Does it really matter - mine just shows a clear monitor type icon but I would soon know if my connection was down.

Bitmeter - "Does not say if it runs on W7"

There is one way to find out !

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Network Activity Indicator for Windows 7 - There's one available now for you. click here&

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61 - I now have my 'little tellies' back :o)

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I also spotted this today. Thanks northumbria61.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite