We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update KB970159

O2

Likes # 0

Although I have Windows Update set to inform me before downloading anything, last night an update with the reference (KB970159)began to install automatically and required a restart to finish configuration. Checking 'Update History', and right-clicking on this item, gives the category as "Important" and the information "User-Mode Driver Framework". However, unlike all other updates which are labelled "Update for Windows Vista" (my version), this one is labelled "Update for Windows". Clicking on the link for more information on the MS website finds nothing. I'd be very grateful if anyone can tell me what this is, and why it should download without my permission. Many thanks.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Heard its something to do with Zune,whatever that is.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
O2

Likes # 0

Thank you both; slightly clearer, although I'd never heard of 'Zune' until your responses. I've certainly never (knowingly) downloaded anything to do with it. However, I did have a Nokia mobile connected at the time; I wonder if it was mistaken for some Zune hardware (is there such a thing?). Still don't know why it should download without permission, though. Cheers.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My Samsung Phone software totally screwed my PC, until I realised that my PC could treat it as just another external USB drive.

Now I just drag and drop. Samsung Software uninstalled.

(18 month old SGH-600, FM Radio, 5Mpixel camera+Flash, which is rubbish, Vid Capability, Voice Recorder. Oh...it's alright really)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The Zune device is a digital media player for your music, video, pictures, and podcasts. Zune software helps you manage the music, pictures etc.
click here

Nokia and Zune are currently working alongside each other click here

The most likely reason for your download - having your nokia mobile connected "at the time"

Like this post
O2

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice. I very much appreciate it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote