We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS update problem

johndrew

Likes # 0

Did anyone here have any problems with the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update released yesterday?

It downloaded and verified but will not install for some reason. I checked Add/Remove and found three earlier updates present. I have tried to install both online and from the download with no success.

Examination of the MS site indicates there could be problems with XP SP2 but I am XP Pro SPĀ£ and there are no warnings/advice for this installation of the OS.

This update was rather a large one but I doubt that had any effect.

Thanks in anticipation for any help/advice.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

What KB number please ?? Please confirm,,, ty

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

No problem on mine.
All updates installed OK.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

on w7 it was ok but on xp took a very loooooong time but got there in the end, at one time i thought it had froze but just left it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Exactly as you said, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168).

Thanks for responding everyone.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

A manuel install might work for you.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link.

I downloaded the update and attempted to install it. The green installer bar progressed to the end and immediately reversed its progress; something I have never seen before. When it reached the left hand end the installer hung for about 30 seconds and then advised me of a failure to install due to a "fatal error".

Looks as if there is something in my software it doesn`t like!!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

First the good news. MS Support have responded with instructions to resolve the problem.

The bad news is that I carried out their instructions to the letter and they failed. Having deleted all the .NET Framework software (all versions) as instructed, the installation still fails.

I have advised MS and now await their response.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Same problem here, after considerable time Googling for an answer which might work without screwing up the works I came across this solution on some other forum.

"Go to Microsoft Downloads - Download and install
.NET Framework 3.5 without uninstalling version already installed."

Made sure an up to date backup I could fall back on was created, then downloaded 3.5. Double clicking to install I was offered the choice of 'Repair' or 'Install'.

That was not mentioned before, so, playing safe I chose 'Repair'. Once completed, the update icon sitting in the system tray was opened and Install commenced once again.

Back to MS Updates page and checked for updates available, all clear. The Repair must have done the trick.

Worth the try, just don't forget the backup.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you a link for either the forum site or download site, please? It must be better than waiting for MS Support based on recent experience!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014