We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photos disappeared from SD card - where are they?

matt-few

Likes # 0

We had a family wedding on Saturday and I used my Nikon camera to take about 100 photos. I viewed them on a relative's new HD TV but built in card reader couldn't read / find any photos on the card.

However, their also Panasonic BD player did read the SD card and we could see the photos. However, I have tried my laptop and desktop (XP Pro) to copy the files from the card - both see no files on the card, but properties shows over 800MB of used space.

I've already tried Campic Restore but could not find any files.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It could be a problem with your card reader. If the pictures are still visible via your camera why not connect camera to computer via cable usually supplied and transfer the pictires.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

I am intrigued - I have never known CampicRestor to fail finding pics on an SD Card!

Are you sure that you chose the Card Readers' correct 'Drive' letter, before pressing Start, and that you were looking for 'images' - did it not show the count of images found? Finally have you looked in CampicRestor's own Program Folder for the pics.

Apologies if you have already done all that, as I expect you have, but as I say, I am intrigued!

Like this post
matt-few

Likes # 0

I have used CampicRestor before with an external hard drive and it retrieved several thousand photos. The correct drive was selected, the location to save retrieve files changed (but have checked both places) etc

I have used my Belkin card reader and connecting my camera with USB cable to my PC, but neither works. I can't even see the photos on the camera either. The Panasonic BluRay player my relative has, has no hard drive on it - it's just a player, as I was starting to wonder if this unit has some how erased my photos. I've since tried it on my father in laws SD card (from another Nikon camera) and the same has happened to his!!! - very strange.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Matt

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

If you can see the pictures on your relative's HD TV, perhaps you could do the same again, but this time make a DVD/CD recording from the TV.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Did you by any chance shoot in the raw format? If so you will require a program that will read Neff files.

Try Zero Assumption which is free for recovering digital images. I know this works for Canon and Olympus raw files, but not sure about Neffs files.

click here

Like this post
matt-few

Likes # 0

No, all photos taken a high quality .jpg, although the camera will take RAW photos.

What has really annoyed me is that I always transfer the photos from camera to my computer before viewing them on a TV. I won't be doing this again (with other photos).

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Like technotiger I'm also very intrigued, even if somehow the photos where deleted or the card reformatted the image files would still be recoverable, possibly corrupted, but still recoverable. Using such as zero assumption

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Just a thought, have you accidentally picked up an identical card by mistake.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"I've since tried it on my father in laws SD card (from another Nikon camera) and the same has happened to his". I assume that this was on the same BLu-Ray Player and therefore a problem with the player. Is it a DMP-BD35 player? I see in the manual that it is possible that data is written to the SD card (I hope this wasn't the case). Does the card still work in the Blu-Ray Player and display the photos.

I would have thought that a data recovery program should be able to recover some of them.

Like this post
matt-few

Likes # 0

A relative has suggested buying Lifeguard Photo Recovery software from Boots for £15. Have bought today and will install later. Never heard of it before, but will give it a try as not too expensive. Boots Photo Manager also suggested to clean the SD card contacts too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?