We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows asking to format a good memory stick

tonypurpuri

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm having an issue with my memory stick. I have an 8Gb Kingston Datatraveller, i've formatted the stick with FAT32 on my home iMac (osx 10.5) the other day (I named the drive DATA8GB). But when i go to work and use the computer there (xp sp3) windows asks to format the drive, it recognises the drive but when i click on it a message pops up asking to format the drive. It also show 0 bytes free or used when i go to properties.

If it helps the name in windows is just "Removable Disk" and not "DATA8GB". I've tried to change the name in the properties tab but it says to format the disk to change it.

Apart from backing up my data and formatting in windows is there anything i can do?

Thanks

Tony

Like this post
Andsome

Likes # 0

When rempving it have you done it properly by clicking on the small icon in the bottom right corner, or do you just pull it out of the compter?

Like this post
tonypurpuri

Likes # 0

Yeah, i've ejected it propery, both on the mac and windows. I went home last night, plugged it back into my Mac and all my files were there and working fine, come back into work today and windows is still not recognising it.

Like this post
cheap

Likes # 0

Try formating the pen drive on the windows machine then putting all the files back on when you get home. Then try it back in works computer.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows and MAc not compatible

Windows will not like MAC,s format even if it is supposed to be FAT32.

You will need to format on the windows machine NOT NTFS)then both machines should see it.

Like this post
tonypurpuri

Likes # 0

ok, thanks for the advice. Quite odd though how windows wont recognise MAC fat32 format!

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features