We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I use Skype With A Dongle On My PC?

caggybutton

Likes # 0

Hi,

My friend who has a Desktop PC but no broadband connection wants to video chat to his daughter in Australia via the internet, would a wirelesss dongle work with a desktop and would skype work also?

thanks.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

A wireless dongle would not work of course, needs a connection from a router.

One of these probably would work click here

and if you can go on-line, then no reason why Skype should not work also.

Like this post
caggybutton

Likes # 0

If you need a router how come you can use skype on mobile phones?

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

I assumed you were talking about a desktop PC, not a mobile phone!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Skype on a mobile uses internet data. This can cost. Alternatively you could use wi-fi at a hotspot.

Before getting a mobile dongle for the desktop (which should work) I suggest that you check coverage and that a signal can be obtained and how much per month it will cost. There can be a usage cap per month.

It may be better to get broadband.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Alternatively you could use wi-fi at a hotspot.

Hi, I would have said that, but not for a Desktop PC! My 'click here' gives the alternatives.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I know - I was trying to answer the question about Skype on a mobile with my first para.

Your click here is the way ahead without going down the land line broadband route.

Like this post
caggybutton

Likes # 0

Thanks for everyones help.

Just so I understand.

My friend will NOT be able to use his webcam to see his daughter with a dongle and his desktop unless he buys a router?

Is that correct?

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Nearly correct - one of the dongles in my link above would probably work. But not cheap for use with Skype, which of course is free if you have proper broadband.

Like this post
caggybutton

Likes # 0

Which one of those dongles would work, and why?

Thanks again.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Any of them, they are simply Mobile Broadband - usually used on laptops though, rather than on Desktops.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers