We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB Memory Stick is write protected how do i undo?

Debe

Likes # 0

My daughter uses a 4GB memory stick to bring work from school home. It has somehow become "write protected" and although not at all full, she can no longer save anything to it.
As far as i can see there is nothing physical on it (as on the ld floppy disk) so i'm presume it has somehow been et that way in school. Any advice on how to "unprotect it?" Thanks!

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

You might need to 'Take Ownership' click here

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Plug the stick in the USB slot.
Click 'My Computer'
Find the icon that relates to your memory stick.
Right click that icon.
Click the 'Hardware' tab.
In the list find the USB stick.
Right click to highlight it, click 'Properties'
Under the 'General' tab, make sure its the USB device. Look to the bottom of the page, under the heading 'Device Usage' If it say's 'Do not use this device (disable)'
Click the down arrow and click 'Use this device (enable) click 'OK' 'Apply' etc...
Come out and now try.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"Right click to highlight it, click 'Properties'"
Should read (not that it really matters...
Left click to highlight it, click 'Properties'

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"As far as i can see there is nothing physical on it"

They often have a very tiny slide switch on one side that can inadvertently be moved to the lock position

Like this post
Debe

Likes # 0

Thanks- it's gone off to school for the computer teacher to look at, will try all the above when it returns home!

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

I have 3 USB memory sticks of different brands and none have a slide switch or any other external feature to lock them.

However - SD memory cards as used in my camera all have little slide switches.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Some SD cards also have the switch

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Some feed back would be nice?

Like this post
Debe

Likes # 0

Sorry Graphicool, it went into school yesterday and didn't come back, I just got the message that it had, "Had it" !!!
Today it has returned but now instead of being write protected it says it is corrupted and I can't do a thing with it, so unable to try the solutions above. The only thing I can say is there def. isn't a switch on it anywhere!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Although bad enough from your daughters point of view, I don't think it quite matches up to a similiar experience I had. Mine was 8GB and full of my latest, 'backed up!' art work. Luckily I still had the originals. But it just goes to show, even if you back-up, nothing is ever really safe.

The answer I find is to keep copies of everything in as many places as possible. To that end I have...
2 Internal HHDs
1 External HDD
and a multitude of various sized Mem Sticks.
Be safe, Not sorry ¦¬) G1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer