We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Utility Warehouse Broadband Help

lisalab1

Likes # 0

I have currently switched from Orange Broadband and BT landline to Utility Warehouse Broad call including telephone. Utility Warehouse has supplied me with a Thomson Speed touch 510 v6.

When I was with orange until today I had my own router “Edimax AR-7084A ADSL2+ Modem Router” configured the protocol to PPPoA and VPI-0, VCI-38 for orange, and it was connected to my Computer (windows 2000 and no modem) and my laptop (SONY VAIO VGN-NS20/E – windows vista) could automatically pick up.

I don’t believe that the Thomson Speed touch is wireless as I have connected it to my computer but cannot locate it on my laptop. I tried to find the settings for Utility Warehouse to use with my own router but have not been successful and tried to use Talk Talk method along side utility warehouse username and password but it keeps failing.

How can I use the internet on both my laptop and computer at the same time like before?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

On this page click on the MORE info link. It sounds like it is a Wireless but will ether need turning on or the Firewall will need setting to let you connect through it click here

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Might be useful for you - the user manual

click here

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v6 is a ASDL Modem + Router there is no wireless on the unit

For the laptop to have access to the Internet you need a “Wireless Modem Router”

“I had my own router “Edimax AR-7084A ADSL2+ Modem Router”

Which will work once the correct setting is used try these router settings

Connection Type: - PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: - VCMUX

VPI: - 0

VCI: - 38

Authentication: - Auto

Keep Alive: - On

User Idle Timeout: - 4320

NAT: - On

QoS: - On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

If that still not working call there customer service team at (0844-815-7777)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you read the link I posted?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why no use your old Router!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, it is ADSL (no wireless) but you can connect two or more computers via an ADSL residential gateway.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Woodchip

Yes I have read the information on the link it says nothing about wireless but about a powerful
]
firewall system which is no good if you cannot even access the Internet via Utility Warehouse

Broadband system

The 3Com routers have the same type of adjustable firewall “Low-Medium-High” on the high

position the router will not allow any Internet access so you can only use Low or Medium

What “lisalab1” is trying to get is the correct information on how to set up the

“Thomson Speed touch 510 v6 modem /router

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

But why bother if he as a 3Com. thats what I use but its a older 3Com Router but never missed a beat. As you say it as a full feature set so you can choose many settings in it. I think one of the Belkins is the same router with a different case

PS I thought as it let you connect more than one computer that it was Wireless

Like this post
lisalab1

Likes # 0

Woodchip - Unfortunately my computer is not wireless hence before my Edimax router was linked to the computer as there is no modem built in and my laptop could pick up the network.

I would prefer to use my own router but i'm still having problems settings the router via the wizard set-up. It keeps saying its failed

I would need to try again using ambra4 method then i would have to call customer services.

Its silly exchanging the ethenet cable from the computer to the laptop to use the internet with the speedtouch modem unless I can use a usb adapter or network card on the laptop.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To use tou own you need to go into the Setup Page using Internet Explorer Impute the Address for the Router into the Address Bar. You have to do this using a Ethernet Cable My Router uses the address 192.168.1.1 yours could be different Then when you get in you have to load your ISP User Name Password etc after doing and saving the above you need to turn the router off leave about two minutes then turn it back on and watch for all the lights loading

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia