We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

More scanner problems

Ray5776

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have given up on a Tevion, previous posting.
Now have a Canon Canoscan D1250U2.
O/S is XP pro on pent4.
I have installed the software supplied,
Scangear CS-U
Scangear Toolbox
Arcsoft Photostudio
Arcsoft Photobase
Scansoft Omnibase pro
Adobe reader.

The scanner shows in control panel and device manager as working OK.

Test device in scanners says working OK.

When I try to use it with the supplied software I
get the message "release the lock switch etc" which of course I have done. If I try to access it with other software I get "IsCapAllowed" whatever that means,

can anyone help on this please,

Ray.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

click here is the link for the latest Scangear driver.

I used to have a CanoscanD1250U2F and it was always a bit tricky to set up. If I remember correctly you have to install the driver before you connect the scanner to the PC.

Googling Iscapallowed shows that this is a TWAIN driver problem so I would uninstall what you already have (well at least the Scangear CS-U and the Toolbox) unplug the scanner, install the latest drivers, plug basck in and try again.

Like this post
Ray5776

Likes # 0

Hi chub_tor, thanks for the advice I will try that tomorrow, need early bed tonight up at 4.

Ray

Like this post
Ray5776

Likes # 0

Ok one last go, i can connect to the link but where is the download button?

ray

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

When you click on chub_tor's link and select XP and English you will have three downloads - the third is the driver. Click on the title to download. After that you can also download No 1.

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

You should install the drivers and software for scanners, printers and other USB equipment first as chub_tor suggests and connect the device when advised.

It's also wise to connect such devices to their own dedicated system based USB port.

Like this post
Ray5776

Likes # 0

thanks, before i do this should i uninstal the existing stuff.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You need to uninstall at least the two Scangear items, the others are just programmes for use with the Scanner.

If you hover your mouse over the Scangear items on the Canon page it will change to red, click on each one in turn and you will be redirected to a download page.

Like this post
Ray5776

Likes # 0

Ok chub_tor, I have uninstalled the scangear items.
"If you hover etc" where is the canon page ?

Ray

Like this post
Ray5776

Likes # 0

Hi again, all I get is an error message about a lock whatever I try.
On the bottom of the scanner is a slider marked lock/unlock. I have partialy dismantled the machine and the lock is a bit of plastic not connected to the electronics. No microswitch or any other way.
The error message I keep getting ref a lock must be software related I think.

Ray

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Go to the support page in the link, select XP and English so that you get the 3 items listed. Hover you mouse pointer over the title of each one in turn and it will change colour, click on it and it will take you to the download page for each of the items. Download each one in turn (personally I Save downloads in a separate folder and then Run them)then Run and you should have the latest driver.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home