We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using same email address on two computers!

Ziggymoon

Likes # 0

I have just purchased a laptop running Vista and have set it up with the same email address as my desktop which runs XP. We have a wireless router that both computers are connected to. I assumed this would be ok and that any emails sent to me would arrive in both inboxes. So far, I don't appear to be recieving emails in both inboxes. Is there a problem with using the same email address on two machines? Do I need a seperate email address for each machine? Any advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
GANDALF <|:-)>

Likes # 0

Your emails will only be received by the computer that was used to collect them. You could view your emails on the ISP's website which would mean that both computers would 'see' them. In outlook there is the option to leave messages on the server click here which would mean that you could access them from either computer.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

What email client are you using? If you download messages from the ISP server to either computer they will then not be available for the other.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

cross posted

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

I use Thunderbird running under Linux and Vista (on two computers) I have it setup so that the single storage folder is used by both computers, so it doesn't matter which does the downloading.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

It's quite easy to get into a bit of a muddle when you fragment your email like this. You can forget about emails on one machine, when you're using the other, and Sod's Law means that the one you want to refer to is always on the machine that you're not using at that time.

As GANDALF <|:-)> recommended, it would be best for you to use only webmail on one your computers, so that your emails are only ever downloaded to one email client.

Alternatively, switch over to using webmail exclusively - I use Google Mail. Then you can use either computer to read and write emails online - all on the single centralised account.

Like this post
Ziggymoon

Likes # 0

Thanks for your messages. I use outlook express. Does this mean that if I have the same email address for two computers the emails will only arrive in one inbox and not the other? If this is the case, I will use a seperate email address for my laptop.

Like this post
aine

Likes # 0

My wife and myself use the same email address on two PC, hers is XP, mine is Vista. She can receive on Yahoo and outlook, I receive Yahoo and win mail.so you can set it up,mail comes to both simoustanly. Regards Aine

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

click here

Outlook has an option...

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

i always tell thunderbird to leave the messages on the server, that way they are safe should anything happen to the computer and i can get them from anywheere

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

Under Windows Live mail and Outlook express there is an option in the Accounts entry in the menu to leave a copy of the message on the server. If this is ticked on each computer then you will be able to do what you want to do.

Tools.Accounts.Properties.Advanced,

Also option to remove from server when deleted from 'deleted items'

Hope this helps

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features