We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

keyboard and mouse not recognized

eysha

Likes # 0

Hi, i need a bit of help please.
My computr won't recognize my keyboard and mouse and i have no idea why. How can i fix this as i know both work okay?
Thanks in advance
E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Type of keyboard and mouse?

PS2 / USB cable /USB Wireless

Will BIOS not see it and it works in windows or does it not work in BIOS or windows?

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

I assume they are both PS2, purple and green connections that fit in to the back of the computer.
at startup the computer tells me there is no keyboard or mouse connected and there is.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That usually means the PS2 fuse has gone on the motherboard, non replaceable I'm afraid.

A USB keyboard and mouse will work from within windows.
Just hope the USB legacy is set in BIOS and you can plug in a USB keyboard and mouse that will work before Windows loads

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

I was attempting to put an operating system on, which I haven't managed to do yet because of the none keyboard and mouse thing. could it be something in the bios? if not does this mean i have to buy a new keyboard and mouse to install and get it working again?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PS2 fuse has gone on the motherboard, non replaceable I'm afraid.

therefore a new keyboard and mouse will make no difference.

I doubt both keyboard and mouse failed at the same that's why I suspect the motherboard.
Do not attempt to plug / unplug PS2 while PC is switched on, this is what usually blows the fuse.

Have you tried another PS2 keyboard or a USB keyboard?

If your really lucky then its a glitch in the BIOS and resetting the BIOS to default by using the clear BIOS jumper or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes may solve the problem.
BUT resetting BIOS will definitely mean USB legacy is Disabled and therefore a USB keyboard will not work either.

Like this post
harry12

Likes # 0

If mouse/keyboard were installed after powering up this could be problem as they will only be recognised at startup.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, no i haven't got another keyboard and mouse to try and there seems no point in going out to buy them now. from what you are saying it looks like the whole computer is now no good - is that right?

Harry12 they were already installed at startup.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its certainly not looking good, can you borrow one?

What are you typing on now?

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Have borrowed a laptop.
i switched the computer back on and it says;
secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.
keyboard error or no keyborad present.

does that make sense Fruitbat?
what do i do now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

Old PC?
80 wire IDE cable click here not really a problem

keyboard error or no keyborad present
its possible the keyboard is faulty (try another £2) or as previuosly discussed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia