We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SATA or EIDE dvd burner

moorephil

Likes # 0

I am thinking of buying a new dvd burner, I have SATA hard drives installed but I am not sure about wether to buy an SATA or EIDE dvd burner.I don'nt know which I have at the moment,all I know is my current dvd burner is at least 4 years old and is model Sony DVD RW DW-18.My mainboard is an MSI PT8 Neo series.
Does it matter which one I choose?

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“Does it matter which one I choose?”

NO, as the motherboard has a second SATA port an a IDE connector

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

It doesn't matter.

Just as an aside, I've always preferred to use LG optical drives, as I've found them to have very good reliability.

Like this post
moorephil

Likes # 0

thanks for your replys guys.
I have since found out that it does matter,my motherboard is 4 years old and I believe that it needs to be no more than 18 months old to support Sata optical drives,so I think I'll stick with EIDE.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...