We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"red" light on Router, no connection...

KorgY

Likes # 0

Hello,

This morning, I started my pc up as normal, but the router of my (belkin G) has a red light showing on the frar right. (with the internet icon), can't seem to connect to the intyernet now, and i have a desktop and laptop as well - and neither work.

I have reset my router, but the red lighht remains. ASnd idea what this could be? do routers just "go" on you?

TIA

KorgY

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Hi, by 'reset' I guess you mean that you have pressed a reset button, if so try this - disconnect the power to the router, wait a full ten seconds then re-connect the power. Might make a difference.

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Sorry, I meant to add that my server is Tiscali, and was wondering if they have "cut me off"? - perhaps - or there servers are down?

KorgY

Like this post
colberly

Likes # 0

Tiscali servers are fine here. On a couple of occasions when this has happened to me,I have had to uninstall and reinstall the router, after trying everything else. I don't have a Belkin though, mine's a Netgear. Maybe worth a try with yours.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

until I had spoken to Tiscali just to make sure that it isn't them.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Have you tried my suggestion as above?

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Hello,

Yes tried all suggeestions above. Now, however, the light works on the router, and i am able to get "LAN Connection" - as i write on my laptop at the moment. But when i take the lan cable out,it doesn't carry on "connecting", it either cuts off, or "connected with lomited acess"

So i've established that it's not a hardware fault i don't think, but i've reset the router, done all the passwords etc - as I've done in the past, but stillcan't get wireless to work. It doesn't work on my desktop either (that has a Netgear wireless adapter) so not sure what it is.

TIA:(

KorgY

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

sorry meant to add I'm on Windows Vista 32 on my laptop, and XP pro (32) on my desktop. On my laptop it says (when i hover my mouse over the connection box on bottum right) "Belkin54g Access local and internet"

KorgY

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Looks like you need to Reset your Wireless Encryption Key and SSID in the router setup page, then use these for wireless Computer settings

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Hello,

I sorted it now. What it was, is that (somehow) I got two SSID's trying to connect at the same time, one was "unidentified network" - but still had the SSID name "Belking54g", my other was the same, "Belkin54g", BUT it was the one that should have been connecting, so a SSID with possibly a Different IP was tryin to connect - not sure.

Thanks all for the input,

Regards

KorgY

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to delete the one you do not use

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more