We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unallocated space and unwanted partition

FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I have just purchased a laptop that came with Vista Premium, I have created the recovery disks and I have also created a full image taken with Acronis TI 11.

The laptop has a 250GB hard drive, it has the following partitions, C: which is called Vista and another called D: Data, the partition called Data has the recovery partition on and as I mentioned earlier, I have taken a full backup with Acronis and also created the recovery disks, so I want to basically use the space that the D: Data partition uses and add this to the C: Vista partition.

Also when I go into Disk Management, I have the following,

1.47GB Unallocated Space

116.29GB C: Vista

57.69GB D: Data

57.45GB Unallocated Space

Now what I am wanting to do is to use the space from the D partition, and the two unallocated spaces that I mentioned above, and add all this to the C: Vista partition and thus giving me the 250GB (I know it will be less than this). I was wondering how I will be able to do this without formating and losing the programs I have put on so far.

I also have Acronis Disk Director if this would would make what I am wanting to do easier.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Provided you don't need to retain any data on "D" drive (or have it securely backed up), you should be able to delete the "D" partition in Disk Management, so that you then have 57.69GB plus 57.45GB of Unallocated Space.

If you now right click your "C" drive in Disk management, you should be able to "Extend Volume", so that it takes in the Unallocated Space.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc for the help. I have deleted the D: Data partition. I tried extending the C drive and it now shows in My Computer that I have 204GB free out of 231GB. So it would appear with your help I have relocated the unallocated space back on to the C drive.

Also if I go into Disk Manager now, I have the following shown:

Disk 0:
C: Vista 231.42 GB

1.47 GB Unallocated Space.

Thanks you so much for your help, I have been trying to do this since last night. I really appreciate your help mgmcc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad