We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there an adaptor to convert VGA to HDMI?

MuDelta

Likes # 0

Looking at recent posts it seems as though the answer is no – unless one spends a lot of money and ends up with more boxes and cables everywhere. Am I right?

I use my laptop to show pictures on my TV. The connection is by a VGA cable. The TV has just died and I am looking for a new one. All of the new models have HDMI connections and some have VGA as well but some of my preferred choices do not have VGA and my laptop does not have a HDMI outlet. Is it possible to convert the VGA socket on the laptop to HDMI with an adaptor ? Or am I stuck with getting a TV with VGA or getting a new laptop (the latter not really on!)?

Like this post
olddick

Likes # 0

Hi, yes they are available but very costly, just google it and you should find some!

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Or you could use a VGA to S Video cable which is much ceaper. Many TVs have S video sockets. click here

I cannot find but I have seen a VGA to Scart as well.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Maplin for starters
They come as a simple -Gender Bender type thing.
I have such an item sitting in my Bitzbox that was passed to me because a chum had it in his Monitor box when it came and asked what it was for, and then said for me to keep it.
It has proved its worth in the A/V shows I give here and there

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your comments. As I feared; no cheap
way if doing it. I will try to choose a TV with VGA or go for VGA to S video.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

P. S.
anskyber, yes I too have seen AVG to Scart somewhere.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Further reading suggests that VGA to S video is not a very good idea. See:-

click here

I think I will accept the restriction of VGA only for my new TV.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

This little plug/socket thngy should not cosr more than a few pounds from the like of Maplin

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added