We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will BT Home Hub Work with AOL Broadband??

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello all, i have a quick question and i hope someone can help me. My friend has been given a spare Bt home hub by one of his friends. My query is that my friends current provider is is AOL, and we both wanted to find out if the BT home hub will still work, if his ISP is AOL, and NOT BT, as he also wants to go wirelessly with his laptop as well??

I've already told him that i dont think it will work, but i wanted expert advice from the experienced people on this forum website

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

The BT Home Hub can only be used with BT Total Broadband, and not with other providers (such as TalkTalk, Virgin, Tiscali, AOL etc). The username and password information, plus the connecting information are all hardcoded into the Home Hub's software, so you can't edit the settings to get it running on a broadband line that's configured for another firm's Broadband service.
There is a form of workaround, but it's not for the novice, and it's not supported by BT - The BT Home Hub is a re-branded version of an older broadband router, the Thomson SpeedTouch 7G, and you can re-flash the BT Home Hub with a Speedtouch firmware image - I believe there is information on doing this via a Google search, but be warned, it's risky.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Thnaks so,so much technotiger, that is what i thought.Thanks loads for that.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Your welcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......