We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't find the file 'C:\WINDOWS\speech\speech.dll'

gsculp

Likes # 0

Trying to run my copy of Dragon Naturally Speaking 5’Essentials’ on my pc running Windows XP home edition but I get the message “NaturallySpeaking isn't installed completely. Please try reinstalling.” “can’t find the file 'C:\WINDOWS\speech\speech.dll' “. The program worked well previously on Windows 98SE

Is the “speech.dll” file normally contained within the operating system or within the speech recognition program?

Have tried web searches but have only uncovered sites which are too technical for me or commercial sites offering to supply “fix” programs and I am wary of of unknown programs offering to alter the registry.

Any advice gratefully received

Like this post
Gongoozler

Likes # 0

I can't be certain, but I think version 5 is not compatible with Windows XP. click here

Like this post
gsculp

Likes # 0

Gongoozler

Thanks for the link. I think you are right. I will have to splash out on a later version. Have marked the subject resolved.

Gsculp

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes