We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Screen flickers when moved..

KorgY

Likes # 0

Hello,

My Toshiba A100 laptop is all but working fine, save for the fact that when i want to move my screen a bit,, ot tilt it, it flickers. I suppose you could say, "don't move it then", but tommy cooper jokes aside, does anyone know what the problem could be for my out-of-warrentee laptop.

Cheers

KorgY

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

loose connection on cable from motherbard to screen, or cable wearing through.

May cost more trouble than its worth to strip the laptop and check connections, unless you want to do it yourself.

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Ok, thought it might be something like that.

Cheers

KorgY:)

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The answer to your question depends on the flicker if it is the backlight lamp that lights up the screen then it is probably a bad connection dry solder joint on the ends of the flourescent tube normally this is not repairable and requires a new screen assembly

(there are some companies out there that claim they can replace the backlights in laptop screens)

if it is the LCD that flickers like black lines going accross it the most common cause is a faulty multiway ribbon cable that carries the digital video signal from the motherboard to the screen, this cable is replaceable

dependant on the age of your laptop your easiest option may be to buy a complete used and working lid and screen assembly from ebay, this makes the fitting a relativley easy task involving the removal of a few parts including the keyboard and maybe 6 to 10 screws unplugging 3 or 4 cable connectors then refitting the replacement part

I think Toshiba have downloadable Hardware Maintainance manuals from the support section of there web site this gives you a breakdown order of assembly and part numbers but if not they can be bought on CD again from ebay, but be aware on both counts pricing can vary widely and double check your specific model is included do not fall for things like "covers all Toshiba models"

Cheers HC

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Just remembered about this site it is on older Toshiba models but the proceedures are pretty much the same for later models

click here

Cheers HC

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Thanks tosh

had a look inside, (took a while to get in), and there was a wire or two off, but i think i pulled some off opening the laptop, couldn't really tell. took a while to get the wires back on, and reasemble the laptop. it still flickers (only when moved) but at least it works ok ( thought the worse when one wire after another started snapping of:(

PS: how would I back data up off my laptop, since it's not one you can put in a pc?. I could put the files on a DVD/Seagate Hard drive (removable, but would like to clone it.

Thanks

KorgY

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My Medion Laptop made by mitac as a wire at each end of the screen, not a ribbon. They do differ

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

This is the one (almost anyway, mines an A100)
click here

Like this post
hammy08

Likes # 0

You could try acelaptopscreens.co.uk They have all laptop screens for flickering problems and the like

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Some maintenance links.

Probably easier to buy a whole screen rather than try to get to the backlight. But it can be done.

Need to decide if you have a bad connection/cable, dodgy inverter or dodgy screen backlight.

click here

click here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

By the way my screen flickered after I replaced it (cracked).

Not too bad. Some weeks later I had the laptop in bits again to get at the fan and had another look at the screen stuff. It all seemed OK.

Now my screen no longer flickers, so it must have been just a connection.

ie disassemble/reassemble/reconnect all relevant connections before buying anything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...