We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restoring my packard bell to factory settings?

Inxinx

Likes # 0

Hi, basically ive had this packard bell PC for 4 years now and it is in desperate need of a restore, i want it to be back to when i first bought it.

The problem i have is that ive read you need to have a CD and floppy that came with the PC to be able to do this but i have absolutely no idea where they are or if i even have them still.

I know my Acer laptop has something called Erecovery manager and with a click of a button it restores back to factory settings, i am unable to find anything like that on my packard bell so any help towards this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Inxinx

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

First thought for me is that them packards usually have a hidden partition on your computer, usually started by pressing F10 if my memory serves me correctly.

Like this post
Inxinx

Likes # 0

If i press F10 on startup it will give me an option to format back to factory settings using the hidden partition?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here; click here

Like this post
Inxinx

Likes # 0

I pressed F10 on startup and it allows me to access recovery console then the DOS screen comes up and asks me to type in a command... ?

Its very confusing, if i was to get hold of a windows xp CD is there a way i can re-install overwriting EVERYTHING!?

I just want to get tnis back to when i first bought it.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

I would get a new hard drive and a oem copy of xp. new drives are faster and have more cache than the ones that were out 4 years ago.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Have you got Packard Bell's "Smart Restore" program on your computer? Have a look at Start > All Programs > Packard Bell Support > SmartRestore.

If so, running this software should give you two options - one of them is a complete restore back to the way the computer was first delivered to you. The other is a partial restore, that leaves any additional software, etc. intact.

If you do use it, just be careful that you completely understand what will and won't be destroyed by the restore.

Like this post
Inxinx

Likes # 0

Have you got Packard Bell's "Smart Restore" program on your computer? Have a look at Start > All Programs > Packard Bell Support > SmartRestore.

Thanks for the reply, i followed your instructions and ran smart restore but what came up was only an install/uninstall wizard that offers programs like RecordNow and Norton Online Security to be installed, there are no options at all to restore it back to factory settings.

PS. I selected RecordNow and clicked ok for testing purposes and it asked me to insert CD ROM 1, very confused is this the right program because it is definitely smart restore.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

In which case, it looks as though your recovery data is not on your hard drive, which is unfortunate.

And since you don't have a recovery CD or DVD I presume you didn't create this when you first got the computer?

I believe it's possible to buy a recovery DVD for your computer from Packard Bell. I suggest you contact their support people and ask about this.

click here and have your computer's serial number handy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite