We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Running Very Very Slow

Toria

Likes # 0

Hi, my laptop seems to be running very slow these days and takes and age to load, even though I have broadband - can anyone give me any advice? Perhaps I need a new one! I have done a DeFrag, but it didn't seem to help page - anyway grateful for any advice that can be given. Thank you.

Like this post
darrenmoore@wightcablenorth.net

Likes # 0

some excellent pointers
click here

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

What Anti-Virus and Firewall do you have,And Anti-Spyware Programs.How many programs have you got running at start up.[Start.Run. Type in, msconfig.It will give you a list of start up programs on top right hand side.If you have C Cleaner installed you can run that.

Like this post
Toria

Likes # 0

I have AVG Anti-Virus not sure what Firewall I have. I do have Anti-Spyware Programs SpyBot and Adware. I ran msconfig and there was quite a list, some said stopped. I have ran C Cleaner but omitted the Cookies as I don't want to lose them, but it still seems very slow.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

still seems very slow.

check that the hard drive is using DMA not PIO

as per my post "Hardware" in the link given by *Raven*

Like this post
Toria

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advice, seems better, I unclicked every from the Start up except what I was advised not to. Thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

click here worth a try only repairs 10 items at a time does an automatic update.and has a registry defrag on it.If AVG starts at start up.It may be better to stop it,And start running it manually.That will speed it up at start up.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Auotomatic back up I should have said.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You could try this download and see whether you think it is worth running the defrag

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made