We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running Laptop/PC through my Samsung LCD TV

tdre

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have just bought a samsung 32" LCD TV and a new dell laptop. I am trying to run my laptop through the TV so that I can listen to my music through the TV. I have bought a wireless card to put in the tv, this did not work. I have bought a RGB cable running from my laptop to the TV but this does not work. I have tried putting the laptop in 'presentation' mode to run through the tv, but yet again, this doesnt work.

I have a similar prolem running my Ipod through the TV. I bought a special cable to run out of the headhone jack into the AV ports but the TV just doesnt recognise that I am trying to play something through it.

Can anyone out there help me????

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

which samsung model?

VGA input?

Like this post
tdre

Likes # 0

the model is an R7. I cant remember the exact code but it is the one with one 1 HDMI input. The later version has 2 or 3 I think.

as it is on the wall I only have access to the side of hte TV where it has an S-video port, and the AV input.

I bought a VGA to RGB cable, very similar to this one:

click here

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

For Laptop to Samsung R7 32" LCD TV,

You will need 1 of These, click here

And one of These, click here

Afraid it's gonna have to come off that wall.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you been to the Display Adapter in your Laptop????? you will need to set it, if you have the option for dual screen. Right click on empty Desktop on Laptop then click Properties\Settings\Advanced\Adapter

Like this post
tdre

Likes # 0

MCE2K5

Thanks for the advice (shame it's got to come off the wall though!). would the 3.5mm Male Stereo JACK to JACK allow me to play my ipod nano directly through my tv?

Like this post
Stonechatz

Likes # 0

DVI (digital output) marries well with the HDMI input on a large-screen LCD TV. But! DVI was never designed to run audio, so by connecting DVI to HDMI you should expect no sound. A separate cable from SPDIF (digital audio out), or from the analog-out of your soundcard must be used - I am not sure what inputs your TV has ...

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

"would the 3.5mm Male Stereo JACK to JACK allow me to play my ipod nano directly through my tv?"

YES (Sound only), From the Nano's Headphones Port.

For Video and Sound you will need this, click here Connect to side AV input on the Samsung.

or this, click here (This goes in the Back, So it's off the wall again.

Like this post
tdre

Likes # 0

MCE2K5

the jack to jack cable has just arrived, and unfortunately I still cannot hear any sound coming from my Ipod. any ideas?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you need to right click sound icon in system tray near your clock, choose playback and tick the box you want to use

Like this post
tdre

Likes # 0

I have tried ths woodchip, but the its as if the TV doesnt recognise that I am trying to input something through it. It is strange because I can play my digital camera through it and it recognises that instantly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...