We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

QoS RSVP disable or not?

iqs

Likes # 0

Hello,
Yesterday I was viewing this thread in the helproom(I hope the link works),but now it is unavailable.

click here

I was disabling some of the services listed to improve performance.

Two of these were QoS RSVP and Zero Configuration.I asked the forum member who posted the thread a couple of questions about these services.But like I said it not available.

So,could you possibly help please.

If I was to disable QoS RSVP ,how would this affect my Virgin broadband,good or bad?.

If I disable Zero Config,how could this affect my wireless netgear router.

My PC is connected to the router via ethernet.It is not connected via wireless.If this service is disabled would it affect my router or wireless connection in any way.The only equipment connected via wireless is my laptop.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Zero config.

You will:

Lose your wireless connection on your laptop.

For more info:

click here

In short zero manages certain networking configurations on your PC. Disabling it is not advisable, and I would advise a full Anti-Virus, Anti spyware scan to see what you find.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Not being a wireless wizz, perhaps these two can help you decide ...

click here

click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If I disable Zero Config,how could this affect my wireless netgear router.

You will nt beable to connect your machine by wireless to the router.

QoS RSVP
The following is a direct quote from Microsoft.

"There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in End Computers That Are Running Windows XP" section of this article correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems."

I'd suggest you read the entire Knowledge Base article Q316666 and decide for yourself whether you think this is needed.

Perhaps the thread has been removed because it is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

If you want SAFE ways of speeding up you PC just ask.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Sorry , that first link was not what I intended ...

it should have been ... click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

A few XP tweaks hear click here
and click here

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

all for you comments.I will leave Qos RSVP and Zero Config alone.I will use the link supplied by woodchip and see what tweaks I can use.Once again many thanks to you all,crosstrainer,Technotiger,Fruit Bat /\0/\,woodchip.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

OK - thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...