We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SKY E-mail and Microsoft Office Outlook

iqs

Likes # 0

Hello,

This morning my mother received an e-mail from SKY informing her to change some of the settings in her E-mail client .She is using Microsoft Office Outlook.

The changes were very simple,changing pop.sky.com to pop.tools.sky.com and the same with smtp.

But when I click on the test account,it states the user name and password are incorrect.

This cant be ,because the user name and password will access SKY's own e-mail client.Its just when using Outlook.I have tried four times to create new accounts,but the outcome is always the same.

During the test,the following screen appears...Enter network password...Server pop.tools.sky.com,then the user name and password.This screen also appears but with smtp.

All the details are correct,so whay is it not working.Any ideas please.Thanks all.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

I have created another account using the old details,

pop.sky.com

smtp.sky.com

with the incomomg pop 110 instead of 995 and outgoing smtp 25 instead of 465.

It works????.

Please any advice

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

to contact SKY,but was put on hold.No help was offered.

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

Sorry I dont know the answer but I changed the details as instructed today by Sky and when I next connected to Thunderbird it downloaded over 1500 emails going back almost a year. Why? Took ages to delete them all.

Like this post
Skoobisam

Likes # 0

Hi,

I've been having a similar problem all week but resolved it now. If you go to:
Tools
Account Settings
Double click on the account you want to change
Underneath the logon information, your username must be your full sky email address. (It use to be just the first part of your email address)
If your password is already saved, delete it and then uncheck the box next to remember password.
Check this box again and then reenter your password.
Click on more settings
Click the outgoing server tab and click the radial button to selet use same settings as my incoming server.
Click Advanced Tab
Check box "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
The port should be changed from 110 to 995
Outgoing port should be changed from 25 to 465 (or 587 if this does not work.)
Underneath here you need to choose SSL as type of encrypted connection.
Next to server timeouts, click approx half way on the bar as this will allow a longer time for your email to come through before the server timed out. My is on 4 mins and 40secs instead of 1min.

None of the above will work unless you have logged into your sky account through click here
You have to force the email from sky to POP3 so it will appear in Microsoft Outlook.

Hope this helps. Hope its not too confusing!

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Go to Skoobisam link, log in, go to inbox, Mail settings, Forwarding and POP, Enable POP for all..., Apply, OK.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

superhoops,Skoobisam and Graham.

With all your help my mother now has access to her e-mails.Thanks all,Kind regards,IQS

Like this post
jurasic

Likes # 0

hi have just recieved 4 emails from sky teling me how to set up outlook express.
Have changed all settings correctly, but when i try to access email ibox on sky.com/tools all i get is
your email will be available soon.
Can anyone confirm that sky email is still up and running?
Ieven had to log in here with a second email or i would not have recieved registry confirmation.
Jurasic.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

You wil get emails telling you it has changed to the new platform (I got hundreds).

Change OE back to original settings, then send an email to yourself to test.

Note that you won't receive emails to yourself on the new platform via OE, they just sit on the server.

And they call this progress...

Like this post
JoE.

Likes # 0

I've followed Graham.'s and Skoobisam's advice and I still can't receive mail

Like this post
barnsleysteve

Likes # 0

Hi,

Sky were extremely unhelpful when I spoke to them about outgoing messages not able to be sent from Outlook

Skoobisam provided the one answer I had not previously tried, and that was to change the outgoing SMTP server to 587 if it failed with the 465 option

After doing so with success, I spoke to Sky technical support to tell them how shambolic they were and what to advise re similar problems. It seems most of them are similarly unaware of this change.

Thanks to Skoobisam,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)