We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

winlogon.exe failed because sfc_os.dll not found

B33J

Likes # 0

When I start up my PC I get a message similar to the one in the message header. I have looked at some forums and found that the file has somehow become corrupted. I downloaded a replacement file and tried to paste into the System32 folder, where sfc_os.dll is located, but it won't replace it as there is a cyclic redundancy check error. What the hell does that mean and how do I replace the file so my PC will start working properly? I can't get my printer to work because of this problem.

Cheers,

Pete

Like this post
Jackcoms

Likes # 0

Assuming XP, do a Windows repair:

Sometimes the system files (those required to run Windows properly) can become corrupted. Here's how to run a check on your system files:
• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

Like this post
B33J

Likes # 0

When I do that I get the same message that I get at startup that the file (sfc_os.dll) cannot be found.

Like this post
Jackcoms

Likes # 0

Have you actually run a full sfc /scannow?

The whole point of it is to replace missing or damaged .dll files

Like this post
B33J

Likes # 0

As soon as I type sfc.exe /scannow I get that message come up again. It won't go through with the scan.

Like this post
skidzy

Likes # 0

Something to try if possible: click here

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

sfc_os.dll is part of the SFC program it appears.

Run a full disk check
Goto Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt

at the command prompt type

chkdsk c: /F

press return

When it has finished read the text and see if any bad sectors are reported.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try deleting the file from c:\windows\system32 first
before you copy the file back into that direcrtory.

It might not let you do it if you are not logged on as an administrator, so boot into safemode (tap F8 as it starts up) and copy it over in safe mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made