We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT router Question

smudger1767

Likes # 0

Hi there , at the moment I have my BB with talktalk, but I switched from BT BB. The question I have is with the BT BB I conected with a BT router which is always on, but with talktalk Ive got a stupid usb modem which isnt. Is it possible to use the talktalk with the BT router.

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

Only if the BT modem/router (it is actually a modem/router, yes?) is not ISP-locked. It may well be. click here This subject crops in discussions sometimes.

Like this post
smudger1767

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply but Ive tried it with talktalk and no luck.

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

Then it's ISP locked, as I suspected.

Like this post
evon200

Likes # 0

BT Routers are not locked. Open Internet Explorer and type in the IP addresss for the router: 192.168.254.254. (Incidentally you must make sure your Local Area Connection IP address is also set to the 192.168.254.x subnet. If you've not done this before see * below). This should open the BT Router home page. Type in the details TalkTalk has given you (ie username and password) and it MIGHT work.
Frankly TalkTalk are such an amateurish PAIN that it probably won't. But that's a TalkTalk issue, not the fault of your router.

*To change your subnet go to Control Panel --> Network Connections, then x2 click on the appropriate icon, choose Properties, x2 click on the last mention of "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list, and note down whatever settings you have there. (They may simply say Obtain an IP address automatically.) Click on "Use the following IP address" and type in:
192.168.254.44 (I choose 44 arbitrarily - you can select any number provided there is not a PC in your home network with the same IP number so far as you know.)
Then for TalkTalk you need to put in the following DNS server addresses: Primary 62.24.128.17 and secondary: 62.24.128.18).
If none of this works and you give up on your BT Router, go back at the end and reset to your old settings.

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

That would depend on the model. Some are locked to BT via recognition of BT-style login details, just as some routers or modems were/are locked to AOL using the same method.

Like this post
ianr59

Likes # 0

I have one of these with an unlock code. Whether this code is the same for all units, don't know but it's worth a try.
Open Internet Explorer and enter url 192.168.1.1
u/name is "admin" p/word is "admin"
then change URL to 192.168.1.1/brdgoff.html
enter the code: 7fdtydlo72v74qd and click Submit.
You should get a msg saying it is unlocked but you need to do the above procedure twice then it should be ok.
Good luck, hope it works

Like this post
Dipso

Likes # 0

Interesting. That info may come in handy. Ta!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED