We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parallel Iomega 100Mb Zip Drive USB Converter

Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have an old Iomega parallel zip drive which works fine but new computer arriving next week doesn't have a parallel port. Is there a parallel usb converter for zip drives? I have seen converters for printers but do they work for zip drives?

Like this post
Big Elf

Likes # 0

I'm not sure if a USB Parallel port will work, they are available but seem pricey to me.

I have used a PCI Parallel port card in the past with my Zip drive and it worked fine. There's one at click here but you could probably find others a bit cheaper with a bit of searching around.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree that they seem pricey. I think that my cheapest option may be to get a used usb drive on e-bay and try to sell my old parallel drive.

Like this post
Marsh Warden © ™

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Thank you - but does it work with an Iomega Zip Drive? Anyone got any experience?

Like this post
Marsh Warden © ™

Likes # 0

Allows plug and play connection of all your parallel devices

Compact and lightweight

Compliant with USB v1.1

Like this post
Big Elf

Likes # 0

For that price I'd give it a go.

Like this post
Audeal

Likes # 0

Marsh Warden © ™: I was interested in this cable for my Zip Drive just like Woolwell, but noticed the description sounds like it is a printer cable and printer cables are different to a normal parallel cable. EG. "Product Description: Targus USB To Parallel Printer Cable parallel adapter". "Interfaces: 1 x parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 36 PIN Centronics". The Parallel socket on the computer is a fifteen pin D socket, so this might not do the job on the Zip Drive.

I may be wrong about this but it need careful checking before buying.

Like this post
Audeal

Likes # 0

My apologies It should have been 25 pins and not 15 as I stated. Sorry.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Audeal - I came to the same conclusion. I do not know if it will work with a zip drive. I think that I may need a parallel usb adaptor. These exist for laptops allowing parallel and serial connections to be connected via USB - but they are not cheap. Torn now between e-bay and scrapping my zip discs but they were very useful for quick back up of mainly financial data which was too large for a floppy. I have a memory stick so could use that I liked to rotate discs.

Like this post
Audeal

Likes # 0

I am reluctant to part with my trusted Zip Drive as I have so much stored on the discs. I does work ok with the parallel connection but I would like to use it with a USB connection as I do not keep it turned on when not in use and I have to re-boot when I want to use it. I will keep my eyes open for a suitable cable and convert if I should find one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback