We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Convert .lwp file to .doc?

KJ823

Likes # 0

Hi

I have some old information saved as .lwp files but I no longer have Lotus installed on my PC and I do not have the original installation disc.

Is there a way to convert or at least view the files [preferably free!]?

Thanks
KJ

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Once in Word choose Open.

Then in the 'Files of Type' box choose "Recover text from any file"

Then select the lwp file.

Like this post
KJ823

Likes # 0

Hi Bremner

Thanks, have done that and can 'see' my text [in a fashion] but it is punctuated by lots of @ signs and other odd words such as CCSend and CPCWWD. I can probably make out the text eventually.
KJ

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Found this click here which might help

Like this post
KJ823

Likes # 0

Thanks!
Have tried to download from the first site but it seems I need to wait for them to contact me with some kind of password before I can download an evaluation version of the software. As for the other site I can't seem to find the correct link so haven't been able to try that one. Sorry!
Will wait to see if I hear from the first site and see if that will work.
Thanks again
KJ

Like this post
UncleP

Likes # 0

I've been a committed user of Lotus software since the days of Manuscript, Magellan, Agenda etc. I have 3 or 4 spare CDs containing Smartsuite - not copies, all from reputable sources. I would be quite happy to send you one, if that is the easiest way to solve your problem.

I don't think this would infringe any copyright laws, as they are unused and do not include the source of the parts of Smartsuite installed on either of the computers I'm presently using. (Perhaps the FE can provide an opinion on this matter?}

Like this post
KJ823

Likes # 0

Hi UncleP

Many thanks for your very kind offer. If it still stands I would happily send you a pre paid envelope. I would also uninstall the software once I have converted the files to .doc and so could then send the disc back to you.

Incidentally, the version I used to have was given away as a freebie on the front of a PC magazine but I got rid of it when I purchased Microsoft Word.

Like this post
UncleP

Likes # 0

My apologies for the delay in replying. I bought a computer as a late Christmas present for my daughter, which arrived a week or so ago. She has used them before, but needed help in setting it all up. This took time, especially as the two eldest grandsons have infinite amounts of energy and curiosity.

Let me know an address to send the disk to, and I'll pop it in the post as soon as I can. Don't bother to return it - as I said, I have other copies.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Once you`ve got the disk for Smartsuite try this click here I think I`ve actually got a disk from the cover of PC Advisor with Wordpro on it!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

PCA October 1998 - Full Retail Program - Lotus Word Pro 97. If anyone needs it drop me a personal message!

Like this post
KJ823

Likes # 0

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in replying but many thanks to everyone who has kindly helped with my problem, particularly to UncleP for the very kind offer of the disc.

I have tried the various links but, until I can reinstall the software on my PC, I am unable to access the various options needed to export a file in a way that can be picked up in Word.

Everyone has been very helpful though, as always.

Best Regards
KJ

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...