We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why won't my Sony Ericsson Connect to my PC

AJ25

Likes # 0

I have a P910i and have connected it to my laptop using the desktop stand that it comes with (USB).

When I try to connect it to my desktop PC, it doesn't work. I just get messages saying 'no phone connected'.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but still the same response

Like this post
Skyver

Likes # 0

Does the software allow you to select connection type? The Nokia PC Suite is apparently incapable of finding out for itself, you have to select serial/usb/infra/bluetooth - maybe the Ericsson software is the same.

Like this post
AJ25

Likes # 0

I can't even launch the software far enough to see what I can do as it won't load without the phone being connected

Like this post
Skyver

Likes # 0

Does an `Unknown device` entry appear in Device Manager/USB Devices when the phone is plugged in?

Like this post
AJ25

Likes # 0

Skyver

Acually it is showing in the Device Manager.

But still it is not seeing the phone

Like this post
DJ

Likes # 0

I have a P910i too, had it for nearly a year. Am away from my CDs and instruction book at the moment but, if my memory serves me right, there were 2 CDs to install. First you must install the PC Suite for P910 CD - then the phone should be connected (maybe after rebooting) and then everything should work okay. You do not have to install anything from the second CD. That is for additional applications. When you connect the cradle, place the phone on it and wait. Do not click on anything. Recognition is automatic but it does not happen instantly. The program that connects has a mini icon bottom right of screen showing a left arrow // a right pointing arrow. If these are not present, neither is PC suite. Check in your start menu. This should give you something to start with.

Like this post
AJ25

Likes # 0

I wish you were right. The PC suite is installed and the icon is there. Still the phone is not detected. Numerous reboots. You memory of the CDs is correct. I have successful connection to my laptop but not the PC

Like this post
DJ

Likes # 0

I assume your PC is running 98, ME, 2000 or XP?

I run mine on 2 laptops and a PC. The only quirk I found was that I could not connect on my PC using an unpowered USB hub - I had to connect directly to a USB slot on the PC.

When your phone is on the cradle attached to the PC, does explorer see the phone as an additional drive?

Let me know how you get on. Rapidly running out of ideas!!!!!!!! DJ.

Like this post
AJ25

Likes # 0

I really thought you had cracked it there DJ. I was running it via a hub. Alas even connected directly to USB port....no difference

Like this post
DJ

Likes # 0

Sorry didn't get back to you yesterday - out all day and evening.

I suspect your PC is running Windows 98 as the only thing that would prevent the PC Suite loading on your desktop seems to be DCOM98 1.3, a required file according to the P910i ReadMe file, whereas no mention of any problems on other operating systems.

I'll paste the relevant bit below.

2. DCOM98 1.3
=====================================================================
To be able to use the Sony Ericsson PC Suite on Windows 98, you need
to have DCOM98 version 1.3 or later installed.

Version 1.3 of DCOM98 is available for download at
click here

How to check if DCOM98 version 1.3 is installed:
1. Select Run. from the Start Menu.
2. Type regedit and press Enter to start the Registry Editor.
3. Find the following key in the Registry Editor:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID {bdc67890-4fc0-11d0-a805-00aa006d2ea4}\InstalledVersion4. If the key is set to at least "4,71,0,3328" you already have
DCOM98 version 1.3 or later installed.

Check this and let me know.
Regards, DJ.

Like this post
AJ25

Likes # 0

I'm on XP!

My laptop (where it does work) is XP Pro. My PC where it doesn't is XP Home.

The Device Manager see's the desktop stand abd the icon in the system tray shows the USB connection.

Despite all tis, when the phone is docked, it is not seen by the PC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features