We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Wrong Disc Inserted" message

Ross800

Likes # 0

Hi there, i recently bought a game and recieved the message "wrong disc inserted" when inserting the play disc, when asked to, after installation. it is definately the right disc, but why is this happening? I had the game replaced by the store, but have the same problem still.

Someone mentioned that virtual drives can interfere, but i have none. if i did, or had software that was interfering what would i actually do to help things?

Thanks veyr much, Ross

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Is there more than one disc with the game? I wouldn`t rule out them having labelled the disc incorrectly. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the CD Rom drive and see if that gives you a clue. If there is a readme.txt file or Word Document open it and see if there is any useful troubleshooting information.

Like this post
Ross800

Likes # 0

There is more than one disc, but i used the install disc for installation, then, after installation message said "please insert disc 2". so, i inserted the only other disc (play disc). i have checked on explorer and it apppears to be the right one, and some of the mini games that only come on the play disc work. but when i try to run the full game "wrong disc inserted"!

Like this post
gudgulf

Likes # 0

Almost certainly a copy protection problem.

What game is it? That will help us identify if this is a known problem and if there are any patches etc that will help.

Do you have any programs such as Alcohol 120% or CloneDVD on your pc?

Like this post
Ross800

Likes # 0

It's Railroad Tycoon 3. The patches available seem to be just gameplay-glitches, i downloaded and installed the most recent one but no change.

I don't have either of those programs..

thanks for the help so far! keep it comin if poss...

Like this post
gudgulf

Likes # 0

Check the surface of the play disc for greasy fingerprints/dirty marks/scratches and give it a clean if necessary.

If that doesn't work then probably the only way round the problem is to make the game run without the cd.

Unfortunately this is very naughty to say the least and I wont break forum rules by telling you how.

Remember Google is your friend!

Like this post
Ross800

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me what the problem is in the first place maybe? I have now tried the game on a brand new laptop with the same problem. Surely this batch of the game is faulty?? These are high-spec new machines, just out the box. I think i will just get my money back because there are too many dodgy routes that i could go down, but won't. Even thouhg, as a consumer, it is my right to a product that functions in the way it should. Any last minute tips before i go to the shop this Saturday/Sunday cos i would really like to play this game...?

I think we could be getting closer to the route here, but i bought the game, so there must be a legal way of playing it!!

Like this post
gudgulf

Likes # 0

The problem is that the game cds are copy protected and something on the pc is being detected that prevents the game from running.Since the game wont play on more than one straight out of the box pc this seems unlikely

Or......the game checks for the authenticity of the game disc before it will run.If the information cannot be read from the disc due to damage or a dirty disc or is not there in the first place.....ie a non genuine disc....again the game wont run.

Did you buy the game new from a reputable dealer or second hand or from some other source?

Or as you say the disc is simply faulty.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Try this,open the games containing folder,find the game.exe file right click it and send a shortcut to the desktop,make sure the cd is in if it auto starts stop it and then click the new shortcut you made.

Like this post
Ross800

Likes # 0

Hi there again.
I bought it brand new from Game so would only expect it to be OK. Yep, both PC and laptop are new, not even had time to install Office on them yet! But direct x etc are all up to date.

ACOLYTE, i tried this, but to the same effect. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

i think i will have to return the game, as i have not recieved a reply for the game manufacturers support team, after 4days of waiting! Tsk tsk. Sadly, because it is a pc game i wont be able to get a refund, will have to be an exchange. I'll do this tomorrow, so any last minute saves for this impossible riddle are more than welcome.

Cheers so far guys.

Like this post
popnottop

Likes # 0

I bought this game and am experiencing exactly the same problem as you. seems like poptop aren't so top......

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund