We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to set Outlook Express as default mail

Flying Teddy

Likes # 0

My problem started when I found that after hitting a 'mailto:' link in an incoming mail (I'm using Outlook Express 6.0), I get an error message saying that the default mail client is improperly installed. Then the darned thing opens 63 (yes, really) instances of IE, all saying that they can't open the page. These all have to be manually closed!

I have discovered that I cannot set OE as the default mail programme in OE 'programmes' tab, as it is not presented as an option. I've tried repairing IE/OE as suggested in many threads, but I'm prevented from doing this properly because SP2 has displaced many of the required files, and I'm asked to install the SP2 CD! Which of course I have not got as I downloaded SP2...

Since I have OE6 installed, I am at a loss as to why it is not presented as an option in the IE programme tab. All I'm offered is Hotmail. I'd gladly uninstall Hotmail in order to try and force the issue, but I don't seem to be able to do that either!!

Any ideas (sorry, I know it's late!)

Running XP Pro SP2, IE6/OE6

Like this post
LeadingMNMs

Likes # 0

Try going to,

Add / Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults > Custom and select OE (hopefully it will be there)

The reason that the browser windows open is that Hotmail is set as the Default Client. Hotmail is webmail and so the computer tries to open www. hotmail .com. Though its strange that it does it 63 times.

Like this post
Flying Teddy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the thought, which I have tried, but unfortunately OE is not listed as an e-mail option. In fact it's not listed anywhere! It only says to 'use my current e-mail programme'.

Hmm

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

order the cd from this link, you will prob need it in the future anyway.

click here

read this page and see if it helps 'How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP'

click here;en-us;318378

regards and best of luck!

Like this post
THE TERMINATOR

Likes # 0

To make OE your default mail handler, you have to go to Tools menu>options.General tab, and click on make OE your default Mail handler....TT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015