We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Computer -HDD

mick 47

Likes # 0

Dear Colleagues

I will be taking delivery of my new computer tomorrow. It is an Evesham Axis 64 A30 with a 160gb IDE HDD (8MB)buffer and 1GB PC3200 Ram.

Could anyone advise me on the following points:

1. If Evesham have not partitioned the HDD - should I do that myself,

2.What size of partition should I use on a 160gd HDD.I am running Windows XP Home.

Thank you

Mick Cowan

Like this post
RedBerry

Likes # 0

Evesham will invalidate your warranty. If its not broke then dont "as the expression goes"
Evensham sort of know what there doing and if it should be partitioned then it will be by them.
They will not expect you to do this.

Like this post
mick 47

Likes # 0

Redberry

Thank you for that advice

Mick Cowan

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I wouldn't have thought that partioning the harddrive would invoke the warrenty.

1. Will XP be preinstalled on the HDD by Evesham? If so then leave well alone if your not completely sure what you are doing as you could wipe XP and the recovery files.

2. If the HDD is empty and you are installing XP yourself from a CD then partioning the drive to have one partion for th op system and another for your data is well worth while as this could save your data if your op system goes t*ts up and you have to format and reinstall to the "C" drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer