We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DUAL BOOT SYSTEM

Pete_W

Likes # 0

I've run a dual boot system for a couple of years (Win ME & XP Home) for reasons of older hardware drivers & programs. However, I am now up to date with everything & wish to reformat & clean install XP.

There is an advantage in a dual boot system, with a spare OS, so I will install it twice.

Anyway my query is... as I have two Hard drives, should I put the second OS on the second HD, 1st primary partition or, on the 1st HD, 2nd primary partition? And whichever you all recomend... why?

Thanks

Like this post
Gaz 25

Likes # 0

erm, I would...

Probably set both OS's on the 1st HDD.

And use the seccond for files, data and pageing files.

Like this post
cga

Likes # 0

I have done exactly what Gaz suggests. It is fairly easy. You just delete your Win ME partition and then, when you go through your install process from mthe CD it will ask you if you want to update an existing installation or install in a new partition. The big difference you will find is that it will still boot your existing XP Partition and the actual live partition is controlled by BOOT.INI on the existing XP C-Disk. The primary disk on your alternate partition will also not be C. I have not found a way round this but I have not tried very hard as it does not present any problems.
My Data is all on disk 2 backed up to a separate partition on the back of Disk 1. The system is backed up by Norton Ghost to the back of disk 2.
I went through a major recovery last weekend without any data loss.

Like this post
Pete_W

Likes # 0

I was thinking if I completely clean install for both OSs, then there won't be any confusing boot file fragments to cock things up later... & they will!
The main reason I asked about which disk to use is that the setup screen recomends using the primary on the 2nd disk, dunno why. It's more tidy to have them both on ajacent partitions, so if others have it set up that way with no probs, I'll do that.

Like this post
johnsims

Likes # 0

take a look at hyperos One Click. click here

Like this post
Pete_W

Likes # 0

Yeah... I've seen this, but on top of the price of XP ££?... maybe MS will make the next version of windows with this capability.

Like this post
johnsims

Likes # 0

If you want to go multiboot, I would suggest you go with Gaz25 and put both copies of OS on the two adjacent partitions on the first hard drive and all your data etc on the second hard drive. This will not only totally insulate your data (the important stuff when all said and done) from the OS but writing data from one HD to the other will be quicker (two heads are better than one) Also move your pagefile to HD2, ditto mail folders, ditto temp internet files.

One Click at £59 + VAT aint real cheap but it is damn good - I have a copy installed on a spare PC for test and review purposes.

Like this post
Pete_W

Likes # 0

Thanks to all the input from you all... I've just installed XP where ME was & am in the process of updating all drivers & windows upgrades (just gone broadband this week). I'ts working very sweetly as a clean install only can.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do