XP to Windows 7

iscanut2 17:55 30 Dec 09

Now that the dust has settled and Win 7 versions are available, which is the best version for me to buy to install on my XP machine as a fresh install ?

User-1229748 19:35 30 Dec 09

if you have programs that you want to keep and they run in xp but not windows 7 you may want to go for the pro or ultimate to make use of the xp mode.

GaT7 19:53 30 Dec 09

May depend on what functionality you need. Have a look at the comparison chart to begin with click here. Some of the extra functionality with the more advanced versions may be had with free alternatives.

Another aspect to consider is should you go for an OEM or retail version? Go for OEM if you won't ever be uninstalling it to install on another system in the future - go for the retail version if you will.

If you are, or have a student in the home, you could be eligible for a 'student license'. This could work out the most economical of all click here (read the FAQs before purchasing click here).

How many systems are you going to install it on? If 3, then a 'family pack' for ~£130 delivered click here could be the one to opt for (this may not apply to you, but I'm just mentioning all the available possibilities). G

GaT7 19:56 30 Dec 09

"if you have programs that you want to keep and they run in xp but not windows 7 you may want to go for the pro or ultimate to make use of the xp mode."

Just be aware that your CPU will need to support hardware virtualisation for XP Mode to work. A free tool click here to check if your CPU has this support. G

iscanut2 11:08 31 Dec 09

Thanks..I assume a full version as an "upgrade" will be of no value to me with XP ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…