XP and Vista separate drives - boot manager?

cyberphobic 23:33 27 Jun 07

My system is an Athlon 3200 (2500 o/clocked) with a Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro 2 mobo, I have an 80GB SATA drive loaded with XP, I have just bought a 200GB SATA drive which I have loaded Vista Ultimate onto. The plan is to gradually migrate everything onto the the Vista drive at my own pace. What I need in the meantime is the facility to boot into either drive. Having done some research, I have downloaded Vistabootpro, and changed the boot order so that the machine always boots into Vista first, I hoped that I would then get the choice as to which drive I wanted to boot into, but this is not the case. Can anyone offer me some guidance as to the best (and easiest) way of achieving this?

IntoPCs 23:53 27 Jun 07

Not sure I understand? If you choose vista it will boot to new 200gb drive and if you choose xp it will boot to original 80gb drive. Is that what you mean or have I missed something?

cyberphobic 00:32 28 Jun 07

Hi - yes that's what I'm trying to achieve, but at the moment whichever drive I set to the primary drive is the one which I boot into - I'm not geting any options

BRYNIT 00:48 28 Jun 07

When the computer boots it should give you the option to sellect which OS you want to boot into this only shows for a few seconds and you may have missed it. If you open VistabootPRO and go to Manage OS entries you can increase the boot delay this will give you more time to see the options.

IntoPCs 09:44 28 Jun 07

I'm at work at the moment so I can't see my version of vistabootpro, but I'm sure there is a way of setting the time delay for the boot option screen - maybe yours is set to 0? See if there is a way of increasing it to 10 or 15 seconds

cyberphobic 09:52 28 Jun 07

Thanks for the suggestions - am making progess slowly! Now have the screen up giving me the choice to boot up from xp or vista, bue when I select either I get a message saying - windows failed to start - xp screen says ntldr is missing, vista screen says windows system32 winload.exe is missing. i am prompted to insert the (vista)disk and choose repair, I have done this and now when I select to boot from vista it works fine, but I still get the ntldr message when I select to boot from xp. Am I correct in thinking that ntldr is only on the xp disk and I will have to repair from that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5