XP Professional upgrade to Vista Premium

uesquebeathus 17:24 26 Feb 07

Can anyone tell me why I cannot upgrade my Windows XP Professional to Vista Home Premium?
I have never seen an explanation why XP Home can be upgraded but XP Professional cannot.
I always thought that Professional was more reliable and the better of the two but now I like many feel let down by Microsofts failure to include Professional in the upgrade path.

Jimmy14 17:29 26 Feb 07

XP Professional is similair to Windows Vista Business. Home Premium is a home operating system so wanting to upgrade a business operating system which is XP Professional cannot be upgraded to anything other than Business and Ultimate. It is understandable. This table from Microsoft shows you which upgrade paths you should take,
click here

anskyber 17:36 26 Feb 07

You can upgrade but you cannot do an upgrade in place, it has to be a clean install.

uesquebeathus 17:49 26 Feb 07

anskyber is correct I would like to upgrade in place without all the extra cost of the Business and ultimate editions which I do not really want the table shows some disadvantages for a lot more money.

anskyber 17:56 26 Feb 07

Again as I understand it you can go from XP Pro to Home premium and therefore avoid the cost of buying Ultimate if you are willing to back up your files and clean install.

anskyber 17:59 26 Feb 07

PS. from an upgrade disc not by having to buy the full retail copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac