Write Protection problem

1832bchs 14:16 01 Mar 08

All of a sudden I cannot write to any of my USB flash drives, my memory cards or my external HD.
According to Windows they are ALL write protected.
I certainly haven't write protected them , and cannot find out how to remove it. I've tried the properties of each drive but am not allowed to change anything.
Have tried Google but cannot find a definitive solution and any help would be appreciated.

crosstrainer 15:10 01 Mar 08

Try this:

Open device manager

Scroll down until you see the entry for your usb ports

Delete them all

Re-boot Windows (the drivers will be re-installed)

Try your cards again

1832bchs 15:38 01 Mar 08

I have already tried that, causes my machine to freeze!!
Could it be anything to do with SP1????

crosstrainer 15:41 01 Mar 08

I doubt that, It sounds like a usb driver issue can you start in safe mode and remove them from there?

Safe Mode: Tap the F8 key repeatedly on boot up

Choose safe mode

Try to remove the usb ports from there.

1832bchs 18:56 01 Mar 08

Nope, that didn't work either, still froze the machine

mrwoowoo 20:17 01 Mar 08

Sometimes your bios can flip settings when you exit or even on a sp1 update or a crash etc.
Look in your bios for a write protection setting on your drives(not all bioses have this).
If it's not in there reset CMOS to optimal setting and reboot as this can sometimes work.

1832bchs 23:13 01 Mar 08

mrwoowoo

Thank you for those suggestions, am not near the machinr in question right now but I will try it tomorrow and post back.

1832bchs 13:35 03 Mar 08

OK, finally solved the problem.
In case anyone needs to know,

Start > Run > type ‘regedit’ then hit 'OK'.

- Browse to the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

- Double click on the string ‘WriteProtect’ and change the ‘Value Data’ box to ‘0’

- You may also need to do this for the strings in any folders called ‘ControlSet***’ e.g.

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Reboot, and write protection is removed.

Thanks to crosstrainer and mrwoowoo for trying to help.

mrwoowoo 16:58 03 Mar 08

Thanks for the feedback.(Iv'e learnt something).
Will take note for future reference incase needs arise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…