Wiping Vista completely and putting XP on

Daisy22 17:32 PM 08 Sep 09

I've just bought a secondhand laptop which has vista installed, however, it is only 512 mb with 1.60 ghz and its running a bit slow.

Its for my daughter who only wants internet and word processing so I thought it might be better to get rid of Vista and put XP on.

How do I do this please

chub_tor 22:36 PM 08 Sep 09

It would probably be easier to leave Vista on the machine and increase the RAM in the laptop to 3 or 4Gb. That way you won't have to buy XP or have the hassle of changing all the laptop's drivers.

mooly 08:18 AM 09 Sep 09

Definitely agree...
I'm guessing it must be Vista Home Basic. Check with the manufacturer of laptop how much RAM it will accept as there may be a limit or a BIOS update needed, or even post details here someone may know. Or visit,

click here

which will scan laptop and advise on suitable upgrades.

Can you also do a clean Vista install from a recovery partition on the HDD as it may be cluttered with previous stuff etc.

heepster 15:12 PM 10 Sep 09

A word of warning...........Read this:

click here

Not as easy as you would think.I have tried this and its not as easy as you would think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…