wins 8 a mistake?

rickf 14:37 PM 17 Nov 12

Is MS heading for a disaster with wins 8 with all the problems people are encountering especially installation on desktops? Why do MS relase these incomplete OS's. Vista was the same. Wins 7 is proving to be the most stable to date along with XP.

Woolwell 16:18 PM 17 Nov 12

There was a similar thread about this moved to W8 Forum from Speakers Corner.

Forum Editor 16:53 PM 17 Nov 12

Moved to the Windows 8 forum from Speakers Corner.

Forum Editor 16:56 PM 17 Nov 12

"all the problems people are encountering especially installation on desktops?"

I've installed Windows 8 on one desktop and two laptops, and haven't encountered a single problem. Each installation was fast and smooth.

There's no reason for a desktop installation to be any different from a laptop - they're both computers. The windows 8 installer doesn't care.

WhiteTruckMan 18:00 PM 17 Nov 12

Personally I think it was a mistake to move this thread to the windows 8 help forum.

It's not a request for help in connection with windows. It's a comment on Microsoft and a (brief) comparison with other MS o/s's.

I'm not a windows 8 user, and so have no real reason to visit this forum. In fact if I hadnt seen this thread in speakers corner first, then tried coming back to it just now I never would have visited this forum. Some may view it as finally getting someone to come here, but thats not how I view it.

Put simply : are we not allowed to discuss windows 8 in speakers corner?

Chronos the 2nd 09:22 AM 18 Nov 12

Excellent post and I totally agree with you.

denso50 11:14 AM 18 Nov 12

I have install Windows 8 on 3 laptops. One is a little net book used by the kids,one is a 4 year old Dell Latitude I use when traveling on business,and the other is a year old HP 64 bit I have connected to a 22 inch monitor in my office at home. All have office 2010 installed,and all work fine,faster than Window 7.All have Win8 start button installed so its like working with Windows 7 with more,but faster.I even have 7(Vista)desktop gadgets installed on the two larger laptops.There is nothing wrong with 7,but 8 is faster.I think if Microsoft were to release an update with start button everyone would be happy.

Quickbeam 11:22 AM 18 Nov 12

'are we not allowed to discuss windows 8 in speakers corner?'

Is there a conspiracy going on, or is it just the right pigeon hole for it...?

Quickbeam 11:29 AM 18 Nov 12

I've been on W8 on a laptop that was originally Vista and then W7.

On Vista it was awful, with W7 it worked very well and smoothly, on W8, I have a problem in that my Kodak printer keeps needing to be re-installed as it can't see it all the time for some reason.

I also can't use my subscription for 3 PCs for Zone Alarm Extreme on it. Does anyone else have these problems?

They'll be solved in time as annoying as they are now, but it's not the end of the world, certainly not bad enough to revert to W7 and brand it a lemon OS.

I intend to buy a W8 tablet when the initial prices settle down, so I might as well get used to how it looks now.

Quickbeam 11:32 AM 18 Nov 12

What start button are you using? I miss that too.

WhiteTruckMan 12:47 PM 18 Nov 12 it just the right pigeon hole for it...?

You tell me. Is it a request for help on a windows 8 topic? Or even new features, compatibility issues and whether you should upgrade ..?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know